Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Should I replace the tire-pressure monitors while the is rubber off, or will they last a couple more years? Dealer says they run like $130 ea., plus it is wise to get the $30 (ea) stems incase they break off from the monitors. Had no idea. Thought that you could replace a battery and be good to go. That's like adding 30% to the cost of each tire. I love the system, but man, may have to let them die and go back to the old school tire guages. Too bad as the system is a great heads up for slow leakers, but my wife is already giving me grief for having to spend money on tires after only 2 years of ownership before even seeing the soon-to-arrive VISA bill. Early X-mas gift, I guess.

Oh, any suggestions to inform the garage to be careful about damaging them?
FWIW My personal experience with TPM includes 4 years on SilverBox (an '08), 6 years on my A4 and 7 years on my STS. No indication of battery dying on any of the car's wheels to date. I seem to remember hearing the batteries can last about 10 years.cool smiley
FWIW. Our 2006 Explorer just started to display a tps fault
dghii - Monday, 7 November, 2011, at 9:04:27 pm
Tires are fine. I haven't priced the cost of repair. I'm still in the mode wanting to thank my govt. for caring so much about my tires that they obligated me to another bill I neither want or need.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
TPM options and issues
Bobtesa - Tuesday, 8 November, 2011, at 9:27:37 am
This a good topic to hear various options and opinions on since it significantly raises the cost of tire replacement on cars so equipped.

As I understand it, tpm is now required on all new cars (since the SUV roll over issues were supposedly due to low tire pressure). But, owners are not required to replace the system when getting new tires. While I seemed to have lived just fine driving without this system for 45 years, it is good information and more importantly, my wife and I have had more punctures from road junk in our tires (bolts and screws) in the past 5 years then in the previous 40 years. One garage that I use told me that tire repair has become epidemic. If memory serves me, during the past 5 years, I have patched tires about 5 times. Two of those times the hole was too large to patch. In this sense, knowing you have lost pressure while driving is a safety issue.

My Box will need tires in about 5K miles (next spring). From talking with a VW service manager (where my wife bought her car), there are options to what you can put in cars as tpm replacements. Maybe not with Porsches, but this may be true with other cars. I believe he said that there are after market units that are much more reasonably priced. If I have to pay $130/tire to replace the system, I may not. But, if there are other units that can in Boxsters for around $50, I'd probably go with it. I check this out next Spring to see what my options are.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login