Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sad empty Garage
Nashhorn - Monday, 7 November, 2011, at 1:42:26 pm
Some fool decided he could beat all traffic and tried a U turn in front of me in the Box. Hit him so hard in right rear (almost missed him) tore off his bumper, then for good measure I guess, the guy behind on my right side hit him too. It happened so fast I do not know if he was really doing a U, or coming all the way across the street but because my first impression was I had braked hard enough to miss him and then him seeming to slow down makes me think he was doing a U. Great witness saw it all so no question of him being at fault. Really bad ending for a good day, coming back to hotel after Horns game (KSU) and dinner. Brother was with me, visiting from Va. Bags deployed and right front of my car totally smashed.
After all I have heard about these cars "never the same" after a wreck, I am hoping it is declared totalled. First estimate from body shop is $15,000, before taking anything off. The say no visible frame damage. Now the fight will be compensation for 'diminished' value. Have visited two Porsche dealers who said value drop hard to predict but min $7,000 up to $10,000. Car was immaculate.

Needless to say I am crushed - good thing is no injuries to me or any passengers - either car. Can't say about the guilty party, a 2006 Dodge Magnum because they fled the scene. Of course as I mentioned I knocked his bumper clean off which was in the parking lot to my right - license plate and all. Police found the car in less than 15 minutes, driver gone of course but I am sure they found him.

I now refer to the car as a Rock Rocket. Amazing how solid these things really are. Only way I knew bags had deployed was smelled that awful gas when they were deflating - never felt anything. Saved my brother from serious injury for certain because he actually was leaning forward and looking down at the time. He too said never felt the bag.

Really is sad not seeing car in the garage.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 7 November, 2011, at 2:28:25 pm
Glad to hear that both you and your brother are OK. You're right about these cars being built to take the punishment in an accident to help save injury and lives. The combination of seatbelts and airbags do a remarkable job. Don't be surprised if you end up with some bruises in a day or so, maybe a sore neck/shoulder, but sure beats the alternative.

When our Audi A4 was totalled, our insurance agent said that generally, if the accident is bad enough to set off the airbags, the car tends to be a writeoff. I know it was with our car.

Best of luck in getting the whole matter looked after.
Re: Sad empty Garage
jwdbox - Monday, 7 November, 2011, at 3:23:51 pm
Glad you and your brother are fine. Hope the next stages of the process go as smoothly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login