Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey Pedro, Code P2189 Help?
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Sunday, 13 November, 2011, at 2:05:33 pm
I have been waiting for an excuse to buy a OBDII scanner and unfortunately I have one. The "visit workshop" engine light came on immediately after a refueling stop. I thought it was a gas cap related error, but it doesn't appear so.

Two codes listed P2189 and P2187 "system too lean @ Idle" (banks 1 and 2)

This also comes after I recently had a local indy do an oil change and reset the "service engine" reminder. I noticed when I picked up the car that the clock was wrong and the car started rough. At the time I wondered if they had reset all system settings and the engine had to "re-learn". I'm not sure if this is related, just trying to identify recent changes that might contribute.

I've put about 40 miles on since the light first came on, hoping it would reset if it was just a gas cap error. No joy.

Any advice or troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Never mind...
nmanitou (Doug in MI) - Sunday, 13 November, 2011, at 5:11:03 pm
I may have solved it. Found a link on RennTech that referenced a loose oil filler cap, among other causes. Sure enough, oil filler cap was loose.

Sheesh, is it too much to ask that a professional technician understand how to properly tighten a cap? I'm losing faith in having anybody else work on my car. This was a new to me indy shop. I thought I would give them a try since they "specialize in German cars" and they have the equipment to talk to the porsche computer to watch the oil fill level and reset the oil maintenance reminder. I think I will stop by and have a word with them.

Haven't driven it yet to see if the code clears itself. I elected not to clear it with my shiny new code reader just to observe how it behaves. The kicker is that I am trying to get it put away for winter storage and might not get a chance to drive again until April. Not sure I can make it that long without knowing for sure that nothing else is going on.

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
Re: Never mind...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 13 November, 2011, at 8:56:06 pm
It'll clear itself on its own after three complete cycles.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login