Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Porsche at LA Auto Showthumbs up
jwdbox - Saturday, 19 November, 2011, at 10:52:20 am
Attended a Porsche invite only event yesterday at the LA Auto Show where about 150 attendees were treated to up close and personal looks for two hours before the Auto Show opened to the public. They had the new 911 and new Panamera GTS along with current Boxsters. I asked if they were going to debut the new Boxster at the up coming Detroit Auto Show and they said no.

Porsche also announced and had a scale model of its new 53 acres Porsche Experience Center to be built near LAX. It will include a delivery center and a test track that is twice the size of the new one they are building in Atlanta!smiling bouncing smiley
Here are a few pictures from the event:

[i41.tinypic.com]

[i41.tinypic.com]

[i42.tinypic.com]

[i43.tinypic.com]

[i40.tinypic.com]

[i40.tinypic.com]

[i44.tinypic.com]

[i43.tinypic.com]

[i43.tinypic.com]

[i42.tinypic.com]
No new Boxsters at the Detroit show? Wonder when they will debut it since the pictures are already out there. confused smiley

Where there any new 991 with the 7 speed manual? How did the positioning of the shifter feel compared to the Boxster?
Its a mystery re the new Boxster debut. The 991 I sat in seemed to be fine with regards to the shifter, though the clutch felt a bit heavier than Silverbox's. cool smiley
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
smileys with beer My guess is that you can order it sans badges like you can the Boxster.
Yes, way too much verbiage
Bobtesa - Saturday, 19 November, 2011, at 9:14:50 pm
And the issue of Excellence I got today seems to have way too much about the new, spectacular, let's talk about if forever, Porsche 911 Carrera S. Doest thou protesteth (brag) too much? I wonder? The cost has gone up, and the base price does not include the now optional sunroof. So, the price is even that much more. I wonder what will happen with the new Boxster? I wonder what it means that the middle east and China (even more so) are such fast growing markets for Porsche? They may no longer need to worry about the price they can extract from U.S. customers (when we were their major market).

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Might the delete option for the rear badging be "all or nothing?"
Laz - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 8:57:07 am
Cars that don't have something front or rear look a bit weird.

When I ordered Silverbox it was with regards to the rear trunk only cool smiley
Ok, but I should've been more specific
Laz - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 12:08:40 pm
I wonder if one can have the rear just say "PORSCHE" or "Carrera" or "911." Or as it was in the sixties, "PORSCHE" plus the model number. If anything, "911" with "Carrera" is a redundancy of sorts. For the 987 (and 981?) the model name, not number makes sense. "PORSCHE" with "Boxster" or "Cayman" would look too busy, especially as "S" versions.

Re: Ok, but I should've been more specific
jwdbox - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 12:31:38 pm
Laz
I wonder if one can have the rear just say "PORSCHE" or "Carrera" or "911." Or as it was in the sixties, "PORSCHE" plus the model number. If anything, "911" with "Carrera" is a redundancy of sorts. For the 987 (and 981?) the model name, not number makes sense. "PORSCHE" with "Boxster" or "Cayman" would look too busy, especially as "S" versions.
Don't know the answer to that. The simple solution would be to order it debadged and then put on only what you want.
Ja, das ist gut. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, at 10:39:57 am
Re: You can order it debadged, but the PORSCHE lettering remains
jwdbox - Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, at 12:19:35 pm
Gary in SoFL
n/t
I am not sure that is correct. If you go to the Porsche site and use the configurator to build the new 911 and select Deletion of Rear Model Designation, it shows the rear lid totally clean including no 'Porsche' lettering. That was also my experience when I ordered Silverbox using the Deletion of Rear Model Designation option. Here is how she showed up:

and then I added on the logo I wanted:

[i39.tinypic.com]
We (Laz original comment) were taking about the 991 and that is what I worked up this morning on the Porsche main site, using the configurator. Again, when you opt to delete the Rear Model Designation on the new 991 it shows (at least in the 3D version) a totally clean rear with all of the tags, eg: Porsche, 911 Carrera S, gone. I included the pictures of Silverbox as an example of using that option, not as a picture of a 991, but it is my understanding that the outcome would be similar. cool smiley
Re: For what it's worth, what config shows me for base 991:
jwdbox - Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, at 2:35:49 pm
Gary in SoFL
Yes, that is the image that I get before using the configurator in 3D. When you opt to delete the Rear Model Designation on the new 991 it shows an absolutely clean backside. I am not reproducing the image from the site because I believe it is copyrighted.
I ordered my 99 with logo delete. And of course it came that way.

My 2008 was off the lot and had the logo. I think that I learned this on this board -- I simply took a piece of dental floss and carefully worked it under the rear logo moving it back and forth. The logo comes off very easily. It is held on by a substance that does not harm the paint. There is absolutely no evidence that the logo was ever there.

Bottom line: I have my logo deleted car and I have the logo if the next owner wants to replace it. If I were to order a 991, I would get all the logos and do with them as I please on or off the car.
I did the floss removal technique on my '99 as well. I've never been a huge fan of the "Boxster" name, but wouldn't mind, "PORSCHE" or "986"
I went to the LA Auto Show yesterday...
Tony in Whittier - Thursday, 24 November, 2011, at 2:22:17 am
The Porsche room is normally very uplifting and interesting. This year no special artwork, no racing type videos. Most of the cars were locked. No real debuts, unless you count the new Carrera makeover (Subtle changes. Defer to November's Excellence article for specifics.). Security guards watching every guest that sat in the cars. I was very disappointed, to say the least.

No Ferrari area again this year. sad smiley Unless you count the tuner section in Kentia Hall.

Highlights for me: The F1 Red Bull display; Target Ganassi Indy Car. 2012 Honda Indy motor; Shelby Cobra Mustang & motor cut-aways. Dodge Charger SRT. SL1 Camaro. Audi electric Spyder concept. Cadillac cabriolet concept. Subaru BRZ concept. The supple leather interior of the Kia Optima. BMW electric concept vehicle ("pre-production"). Jaguar XKR-S convertible & Black Aston Martin DBS coupe. smiling smiley

Normally a Porsche would be on the list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login