Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Recommendations My First Boxster
NuovaZeta - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 1:24:27 am
Actually my first Porsche. I am thinking about buying a 2001 Boxster, but it has a ding, poking outward, in the rear trunk lid, small but noticeable paint chips all over and the rest of the paint has the usual shallow scratches that come with poor washing practices and not enough waxing. The interior looks very good for its age. The canvas roof looks good, but has the fold marks either side that I see on most older Boxsters, but the plastic rear window is milky with some bad cracks around the edges.

To get the car looking nice again, I am guessing I would need to replace the plastic window (is this practical), panel beat and repaint the trunk lid... cut and polish the rest of the paint.... I don't know what to do about the small chips. They are on several panels and since the car is black they are easy to notice.

Any comments, advice, recommendations?

I am new to South Florida, anyone know a good body shop in the area that is not too expensive?

Thanks John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 01:36AM by NuovaZeta. (view changes)
My recomendation is,,,,,
grant - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 7:44:11 am
to enjoy it, clean it up a bit, and to not sweat it all that much.

Use a good clay, cleaner, polish and wax, and, unless the dent is really unsightly, consider it a beauty mark.

I'd be more interested in the mechanical condition; how its been maintained, driven etc.

I think Pedro's looking up a good S FLA body shop for someone else if you really want to burn some money.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Concerning the rear window:
Laz - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 8:50:53 am
People have suggested that a boat repair shop might be familiar with sewing in a new piece of clear vinyl. Also, you could find an auto body shop that can do such work, meaning not just replacing the whole top, but having the skill to sew in a new window. Because you mentioned "milky," let alone cracking, you ought not to be driving around blind to the rear, and it sounds like it's way past the polishing-with-lots-of-elbow-grease phase. Once you get a new one, use "Plexus" (available at some shops and online) from time to time as a preservative.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Concerning the rear window:
NuovaZeta - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 1:46:31 pm
Thanks for the excellent advice everyone, especially about 'not sweating' a bit of minor cosmetics, and for recommending a PPI. I will certainly do that and consider it money well spent.

happy driving, John
Re: Recommendations My First Boxster
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 9:38:32 am
A few things to consider before buying this car.

- since it looks like the body hasn't been looked after particularly well, I'd be VERY concerned that it wasn looked after mechanically. As Grant pointed out, that could end up being expensive.

- living in South Florida, you don't know how lucky you are when it comes to knowledgeable Porsche mechanics, you've got Pedro, one of the absolute best anywhere, close to you.

- I'd recommend taking it to Pedro to have a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) done BEFORE you buy the car. It could save you a lot of headaches and money down the road.

[www.pedrosgarage.com]

There are lots of really well maintained used Boxsters out there, so don't settle for just anything.

Good luck. Once you drive a Boxster, you'll know just how special these cars are. You'll love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 10:18AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Re: Recommendations My First Boxster
MikenOH - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 10:00:01 am
Guenter in Ontario
A few things to consider before buying this car.

- since it looks like the body hasn't been looked after particularly well, I'd be VERY concerned that it wasn looked after mechanically. As Grant pointed out, that could end up being expensive.

- living in South Florida, you don't know how lucky you are when it comes to knowledgeable Porsche mechanics, you've got Pedro, one of the absolute best anywhere, close to you.

- I'd recommend taking it to Pedro to have a PPI (Pre Purchase Instpection) done BEFORE you buy the car. It could save you a lot of headaches and money down the road.

[www.pedrosgarage.com]

There are lots of really well maintained used Boxsters out there, so don't settle for just anything.

Good luck. Once you drive a Boxster, you'll know just how special these cars are. You'll love it.

Well said; a PPI through Pedro should be the first thing done to give you an indication of what the true value of this car is.
Proper maintenance is the key on these cars so I would not sweat the cosmetic imperfections much if the PPI looks good. If the PPI indicates the maintenance schedule was not maintained, keep looking; The high cost of the potential repairs resulting from poor maintenance would more than offset any savings of a low purchase price.

Best of luck with it.
John ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 10:32:57 am
... Welcome to the Board and to South Florida.
Feel free to Call me regarding your upcoming purchase.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Check out this car for sale in Kentucky...
Tony in Whittier - Sunday, 20 November, 2011, at 6:09:00 pm
It has a lot of quality options.

Start at this website: [forums.rennlist.com]

Then select water cooled, then Boxster/Boxster S, look for the post on the $12.5K car for sale (2001 S). If he does not sell by 11/25, he is trading it in.
Re: Check out this car for sale in Kentucky...
NuovaZeta - Friday, 2 December, 2011, at 5:06:26 am
Hi Tony, thanks for the link, sounds like exactly what I am looking for but I am out of the country now until mid-January.

Will check back in with the forum when I return. I am still keen for a Boxster.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login