Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
flywheel questions?
artandscience - Monday, 21 November, 2011, at 7:15:47 pm
So how do I know if the flywheel needs replacement?

I'm planning on doing a clutch replacement (as well as RMS and IMS bearing, replacement of tranny fluid, etc.) over Christmas.

I thought I would buy a "super kit" from Pelican but I only have 55k on my 2001 Boxster S (manual) and don't want to replace the flywheel unless
it needs it.

I cannot find the TSB that Wayne references on his Pelican site so I don't know what the procedure is for testing it. Is this a test I can run at home or do I need to sophisticated/specialized tools?

Also, my clutch pedal is VERY stiff - the service tech thought I must have the left leg of a gorilla - and so recommended replacement of the clutch. But every reference I've read suggests the clutch needs replacement when it is (1) slipping, or (2) getting really soft on the pedal. Mine is neither so I'm a bit confused.

Advice welcome.

cheers,
S.
artandscience
So how do I know if the flywheel needs replacement?

I'm planning on doing a clutch replacement (as well as RMS and IMS bearing, replacement of tranny fluid, etc.) over Christmas.

I thought I would buy a "super kit" from Pelican but I only have 55k on my 2001 Boxster S (manual) and don't want to replace the flywheel unless
it needs it.

I cannot find the TSB that Wayne references on his Pelican site so I don't know what the procedure is for testing it. Is this a test I can run at home or do I need to sophisticated/specialized tools?

Also, my clutch pedal is VERY stiff - the service tech thought I must have the left leg of a gorilla - and so recommended replacement of the clutch. But every reference I've read suggests the clutch needs replacement when it is (1) slipping, or (2) getting really soft on the pedal. Mine is neither so I'm a bit confused.

Advice welcome.

cheers,
S.

require any special tools but you do know how to generate the movement and what the acceptable movement amount is. I watched a tech check a FW but I do not have any pics and do not have any numbers. I would have some pics and numbers but I have not yet had to replace the clutch in my Porsches.

A stiff clutch pedal is a sign the clutch needs to be replaced. The clutch wears (along with the mechanical linkage pivot points) and some mechanical leverage is lost which results in a harder to work clutch pedal.

Slipping is also a sign the clutch needs attention.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
When the throwout bearing wears, it causes the clutch to be increasingly difficult to operate. Unfortunately, the only remedy involves removing the transmission. At that point, it is not much more $ to replace the clutch plate.
the clutch was no harder to operate than before. Just noisy as heck. A horrible screech every time I depressed the clutch.

Regardless of why one goes into the clutch though, if because the clutch is slipping, the bearing's noisy, or the pedal is real hard to depress, or any combination of these or other symptoms of clutch distress, all clutch and clutch related components that are only replaceable when the clutch is exposed need to be evaluated and replaced if it is deemed necessary. Almost without question I'd replace the release bearing along with the clutch disc, pressure plate. I'd check the clutch mechanical linkages and replace any that showed signs of wear.

The flywheel...? It depends.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
a comment....
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 22 November, 2011, at 11:59:47 am
There is a "test", and you do need to lock the crank at a minimum. Sorry, I'm away from my tools, or otherwise I would take a pic of the factory crank lock pin(there is also one for the flywheel for the clutch operation). If memory serves, the test looks for deflection of 8 or 10mm, but don't quote me. It has been a bit since I've read through that piece of tech lit. For me, I would replace it for a number of reasons:
-the duel mass flywheels they sourced in those years were not the most robust
-when the center flex section goes(out of balance), it makes a host of issues(vibrations, rough idle,poor clutch operation/performance, etc......)
-it is not worth going back in to change out one part 5 or 10k down the road
-it is exceedingly difficult to get someone to properly resurface the old flywheel
-etc...
You get the idea.
regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login