Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Thoughts on scissor lifts?
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 2:50:15 am
I know this topic comes up once or twice a year, but you never know what information is new.

I'm strongly considering getting a lift. A 2 or 4 post lift just doesn't seem like it will work in my garage. A mid-rise scissor lift seems more suitable. I want something that will make it easy not only to work on brakes and suspension, but also to get under the car for things like the motor mount, exhaust, water pump, etc. Some of that stuff is just exhausting to do at only jackstand height. My car is becoming a Spec Boxster and I want to make it easy to do frequent maintenance, installs, and inspections.

Any recommendations on the different flavors and brands of scissor lift for this application? Certainly the wheels need to hang in the air, and the more free access there is under the car, the better.

Thanks,
Trygve
Re: Thoughts on scissor lifts?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 8:55:04 am
Scissors lifts are better than no lift, but they're not the best for a car like the Boxster which requires most of its work e done from underneath.
In my opinion a low or mid-rise 2-post lift is the best alternative for a home garage.

There are a couple of manufacturers that offer such a solution.
Some can be moved to the side when not in use all that remains in the floor is the embedded receivers (nuts).

[ecx.images-amazon.com]

The Danmar Max-Jax 2 post lift is shown above.
As you can see this lift opens up the underside completely so that you can remove under panels, tranny, clutch, even the engine, with no interference.

A 4-post lift is also a great alternative because it not only allows you to work on your car's underside, but you can use it as extra parking.
You'd be surprised how it can fit in a standard garage.

[i83.photobucket.com]

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
All true. My dilemma (until my garage changes) is...
grant - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 12:36:49 pm
that in my under-sized bays (9 ft rather than 12 ft wide) its very difficult to place the uprights outside of the car; whereas a scissor lift is entirely under it. So far i decided i'll deal with nothing until i have enough room!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: great info
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Sunday, 27 November, 2011, at 12:58:33 pm
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of the Maxjax.

I know what you mean, Grant, it is far easier to not take on such a project. smiling smiley But I think I've come to the point where I just need to do it. Whatever it is. I think it will quickly pay for itself in labor rates. My two bays are 10' wide exactly. Not much room to spare, but enough for 2 cars if the garage is kept clear and parking is done carefully.

The Maxjax looks quite appealing because if nothing else, the post in the center of the garage can be "put away" when not in use. Otherwise, door opening is questionable! The depth and rating of the concrete is a question mark even though the house is relatively new (8 yrs).

The 4-poster initially seems like too much immovable space, and needs extras to do the most common work (wheels off). But being in the corners, the posts might not really be much in the way (doors can open easily), and I think they can usually sit on the concrete without bolting.
SMILIN - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 11:31:20 am
I suggest that you redirect funds set aside for an Austin vacation in late 2012 sad smiley and put them into the best darn lift you can get for your space. You know you'll use the heck out of it...not just for maintenance and repair, but for cleaning the underside of your car smiling smiley
Austin 2012 ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 26 November, 2011, at 12:07:35 pm
... looks pretty bleak.
I'm canceling my hotel and air travel reservations.
Too bad sad smiley
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Austin 2012 ...
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Sunday, 27 November, 2011, at 1:00:59 pm
Yeah, we were just starting to scope out the options. Damn!

I just heard Bernie say on the pre-race that they Austin organizers only lack "money and a pen".
emmettpeter - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 9:17:47 pm
Here is what I have and I don't know how I ever did without it:

Mid Rise Lift

I park over it daily and it does'nt intrude on the garage space. I agree that the 2 and 4 post lifts are great but I have yet to find something that I can't do with this scissors. It is well made and has worked well. Make sure if you buy a scissors that it has space down the middle like this one and is redundant, with redundant mechanical backup locks.

Once you get a lift you won't believe how much easier your life is. Is your back tired of bending over waxing the side of your car? Just lift the car up. So far it works on my Cayman S, Acura RSX, Tahoe (!) and VW Tiguan. I won't be using floor jack and jack stands ever again!
That one looks like...
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 2:11:07 am
...it has a lot going for it. Is the 39 inch max lift height "good enough"?
Re: That one looks like...
emmettpeter - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 6:50:07 pm
It has been for me for everything I have been doing for about two years now; I have not used it to try an engine change which hopefully I won't have to do with the 9A1 Engine in the Cayman S! Oil changes, tires, brakes, bleeding, etc. are super easy. I use an assortment of the pads that came with it and hockey pucks to pick the lift points on the car I'm working on. Per the directions, it does want the CG (engine end) in a certain direction. And you have to be a bit careful because the safety ratchets don't kick in until it's about 18 inches up. So you aren't safe to work under the car until then.
All 4 wheels off the ground and suspended - very useful
Boxsterra - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 10:17:27 pm
Though it's not designed for Boxsters. From the manual: "The heavy end of the vehicle MUST [sic] put on the side as shown in the figure"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login