Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Continental Extreme Contact DW
Bob D - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 11:29:04 am
Looking for 4 new tires for 2008 Cayman S and wondering if price differential between subject tires is worth it. Since I have 19 inch wheels ride comfort as well as handling are most important to me. Has anyone used either of these tires? Any input is appreciated. Bob.
I just put the Pilot Super Sports (17 in.) on my 2002 325i. They look the same and initially feel as good as the PS2's on my Boxster. The marketing line is that they're improved versions of the PS2s, but I haven't yet verified that. I've tried many tires on my Boxster and have settled on sticking with what I like, regardless of price, and I love the PS2s. I haven't tried the Continentals...will probably stick with high-end Michelins until they disappoint me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 11:53AM by SMILIN. (view changes)
I just put a pair of the Extreme Contact DWS on the rears of my 997S (19 inch) (PS2s came with the car). Still have the PS2s on the front. Regular driving is much better with the Exteme Contact, even compared when the car new two years ago, but I am not as confident in hard driving with them on the back. They've gotten a little better with time (about 800 miles). Even so, the rear seems to fight (be a bit more abrupt) in corners than the PS2, which seemed to glide. I was looking for the lower price and higher mileage tire for the car, as I don't track it. If you live in a wet/somewhat snowy climate, they might be a great option, but even here in DC (I don't drive it in the snow, but do in the rain), I'll be going back to a better performance tire when these wear out. I like to have fun on occassion, and the performance simply just isn't there. Can still have fun, but am a bit more hesitant to do so. It's not terrible, but it is noticable in regards to the drop off. If you track the car, even on occassion, definately don't get them. The PS2s I think were a bit too soft in the sidewalls as the car was a little more bouncy than I perfer. I could have just had a bad set, but for whatever reason, at 75 mph, the car seemed to vibrate in the seat of the pants. I had them rebalanced and the alignment checked, but they couldn't get them balanced perfectly. With the Extreme Contact, at 75+, the car is smooth as glass on perfect roads.

So, it depends on your driving and where you drive. If you live where the twisties beckon you, I'd suggest no, but if you live in KS with nothing but flat driving, then I'd say yes.
I agree with the above sentiment
Boxsterra - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 9:36:01 pm
It really depends on your driving style. They have gotten fantastic reviews but they can only be worth it if you habitually drive hard in the twisties.
Well, a few more observations
grant - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 10:11:03 am
they wear longer than PS2s or ribs
sometimes they are priced a bit better too
they stick better on the track, and are slightly more forgiving
they chuck up and fail prematurely if driven very hard, when very hot, on very rough surfaces (e.g.: 95 deg day autocross old parking lot)

I may buy a set. Eventually.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
This Spring, I replaced my 17" OEM Pilot Sports on my 02 Boxster with the Continental Extreme Contact DW on new 18" wheels. In addition to the diameter change, the new tires are a little wider so it is not a direct comparison, but I put about 11k miles on them so far and I think they are at least equal to the original tires. Handling is same or better and ride seems better also. No noticeable change in noise. Wear is good so far and I saved a few bucks from the N-spec PS2. Tire Rack had them rated very good,,, #1, I think. No track days, but I definitely enjoy the corners every chance I get. Not sure how they compare to the Pilot Super Sports, but I don't think you would be disappointed with the Extreme Contact DW.
a comment....
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 11:15:54 am
We went from Michelins to the Conti DWS (all-season version of the tire) and could not be more satisfied with the results. The car does not get tracked, or AutoXed, just errands or short trips. The fact the DWS handles cold temps better was a huge win for us. The dws is terrific in the wet so far, and in the pnw that is saying something.
regards
You've got them on a Boxster/Cayman or another type of car?
MikenOH - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 8:22:51 pm
The big complaint I've heard about them is that they may have problems getting balanced correctly and that the steering response is a bit weak; what's your view?
Just the opposite, the new tires and alignment really transformed the car(in a good way). Yes, the DWS is not as sport oriented a tire, but we were willing to trade that up for better cold weather driving abilities. The guy who did the work(a true craftsman in the trade) did not have any issue balancing them up, but he really dialed the car in, alignment wise. It felt like a different, and much improved car afterwards. This car(986 base/Boxster MY2001) seems to just get better with age.
As far as tires go, I think owners need to be honest to them selves what they use the car for, then buy tires towards that type of useage. We might have bought a more summer performance oriented tire if we lived in a place that was a bit warmer with less rain, but weather in the PNW can be a challenge throughout the year. The colder temps don't seem top effect the DWS which has been nice. It offers a quiet and comfortable ride on the highways. Each person is different, you might find someone who has put the tires on and give them a drive. Hope this helps.
regards
Re: You've got them on a Boxster/Cayman or another type of car?
MikenOH - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 8:03:05 pm
Thanks for the reply.
I had been considering them for an 08 E90 to replace the runflats, but was put off by some reports on TR about quality issues and steering response. I'll have to give them another look.
If your looking for all-seasons for the bmw, you might check out bridgestone re960as's. We ran them on an A4 and loved them, but this was not a choice for the Boxster. It is a more sport oriented all season tire, if one could be called that.
regards
MikenOH - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 9:34:19 am
Funny you mention the 960's--it appears the 970 has replaced it and has gotten very good reviews; that was the tire I was looking at as an alternative to the DWS.
SMILIN - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 12:17:25 pm
The RE960 is what i just replaced on my BMW. It was a great tire...reasonable wear, very nice dry traction and handling. Never really tested them in the wet, but assume being an AS that they were good there too. I went with the Michelin's simply due to my preference for the PS2's which I've driven on the street and autocross and understand and like them.
.. that they have a high incidence of out-of-round tires, and that, after some miles or years, the belts begin to move and then they are REALLY OOR. The worst offender for me was several sets of ExtremeContacts on my Audi S6 (maybe the most sensitive car on the planet to OOR or balance....).

I'll note that most of my bad (OOR) tires - of any brand - have come from Tire Rack, which is why i no longer use them.

TR always stood behind them, to be fair, refunding (but only after i presented them with Hunter 9700 printouts proving my points).

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Agreed, I was very hesitant going with them. The family has a new Subaru Outback with Conti's on it which are absolute junk(need higher speed rated all-season). Having said that, we were pleasantly surprised with the DWS. When you consider all-season's for this type of car, there are not many choices. We probably would have gone for Brigdestone RE960a/s's(had them on our A4) if there was the option.
regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login