Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Key fob is "eating" batteries
Sheriff John - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 3:24:23 pm
At first, I thought I bought some old batteries. It's although I've got a short and it's draining the battery in a few days. However, now and then, the fob's led is bright and it works! But for only one time. Is the battery not making contact well? This is the first time I've heard of this. Any ideas?
Thanks
SJ
this will drain the key battery.

What I do when I notice the LED is on is separate the key head and remove the battery, then press a key head button to completely drain any residual power from the tiny circuit board. Careful since the key head is apart when you push the button this will want to push the circuit board out of the key head half.

Under some conditions when the above didn't have the desired effect, I have reversed the battery and installed it for a moment. I do not know where this came from. But it appears to work, that is it gets the circuit board out of whatever goofy state it was in.

Now, I used to do the above.

But I can't recall the last time I've had to do any of the above since I stopped keeping my car keys in my pants pockets all the time. Now when I arrive at home the keys come out and go into a bowl on my dresser. At the office the keys come out and go into a bowl on my desk even before I get my coffee. The only time I keep a car key in my pocket is when I'm away from a place where I can remove my car keys and store them without fear of someone walking away with them.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
A few ideas
Boxsterra - Monday, 28 November, 2011, at 9:41:04 pm
You may have bad batteries. This has happened to me before. I put a new battery into my camera and it kept draining quickly. So I replaced it with another battery and had the same problem. I sent the camera back to Nikon and they said the problem was the battery. I found out that Duracell had had a bad batch of batteries.

You can test the drain on the battery using an ammeter to find out if the problem is the key remote or the battery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login