Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
of canvass and plastic so that it will look like a ragtop, but actually be a "hardtop." So, the top will be smooth and not have the ribs from the folding mechanism that you see in canvass tops. Keeps the look, but the smoothness of the top helps with aerodynamics and better fit. For folding purposes, the "top" section of the roof will be a plastic composite material skinned with fabric, while rear window section will remain all fabric with no hard materials, besides the glass window.

Supposedly, the next generation Boxster get the same top.

The "fabric" top may look odd without the ribs in it. No used to seeing a "smooth" ragtop. So, it will be interesting to see how it will look in person. Think it might be better than folding hardtops where you can see the seems for folding cut across. I guess we'll find out at the Detriot Auto Show in January.
There is a picture (shopped?) in this article...

Autospies 911 Article

Should it "of" had??? Is that proper grammar? confused smiley
The one and only pix with the top up makes it seem pretty smooth from door to door, no ribs. Still think the rumors may be correct. Sure, it's not a metal folding top, but a lightweight composite skimmed with cloth to make it look like a ragtop may be just the ticket. With the "hump" at the back of the 911 Cab, to store the top, it would look too odd for a metal folding top. The traditional 911 lines of the coupe would be broken and clunky for a metal folding top and hump to store it in, so, Porsche did the next best thing and made their "hard top" look like a soft top. That way, your eye will see something familar.

Oh, and no, believe it should have been: "Should it have been" and not "should it of had."
db997S
Oh, and no, believe it should have been: "Should it have been" and not "should it of had."

I don't see what's wrong with "should it of had…"

he's asking a question; it has a fabric roof but should it of had a metal one?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
frogster
db997S

I don't see what's wrong with "should it of had…

Should it have had a metal one?
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
frogster
db997S

I don't see what's wrong with "should it of had…"

There is only one thing wrong with it, it's improper grammar. Should've can be pronounced "should of", but is the contraction of "should have".
Yes, lazy English, similar to droppin' the "Gs" off the end of words. Should have, became should've since it is easier to pronounce, but it has morphed into should of.

--db
I think it's ignorance, not laziness *NM*
Boxsterra - Thursday, 1 December, 2011, at 10:09:32 pm
Maybe it coulda had a V8! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 3:18:35 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
There is no plans as far as we know to have a hardtop convertible. Most of it is I would think is due to the excess weight.
Some info here with some pictures
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 5:57:48 pm
It's not apparent in these pictures, but the front and rear (with the window) sections are a lightweight magnesium covered with canvas and the middle section is canvas only (like the current roof). This all helps to make the roof look smoother and more aerodynamic.

[ca.autoblog.com]

Here's a link to the patent drawing that is believed to be from Porsche for the new type of roof.

[www.motorauthority.com]
Well, Gary, I've had it checked out and
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 6:36:11 pm
there's no cure.

The only thing that helps a bit is to hop into the Boxster and go for a spirited drive. smiling bouncing smiley Unfortunately, the next one is probably about 4 months away. eye rolling smiley

So, anytime you want to post pictures of Porsches in the wild. Go right ahead 'cause it helps relieve the itch just a bit. drinking smiley
Re: Well, Gary, I've had it checked out and
jwdbox - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 4:09:59 pm
Guenter in Ontario
there's no cure.

So, anytime you want to post pictures of Porsches in the wild. Go right ahead 'cause it helps relieve the itch just a bit. drinking smiley

Ahhh, didn't you mean Porsches Gone Wild? I think I have seen that video....cool smiley
Re: Well, Gary, I've had it checked out and
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 7:43:47 pm
jwdbox

Ahhh, didn't you mean Porsches Gone Wild? I think I have seen that video....cool smiley

Come to think of it....

Another link
TheFarmer - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 6:59:52 pm
[www.nzherald.co.nz]

This is hot news -- note the article has tomorrow's dateline

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 07:01PM by TheFarmer. (view changes)
To bad they don't have
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 7:36:17 pm
TheFarmer

This is hot news -- note the article has tomorrow's dateline

tonight's winning lottery numbers listed. eye rolling smiley grinning smiley
That's a bit like:
Laz - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 7:36:36 pm
EarlyEdition

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
And:
Laz - Tuesday, 29 November, 2011, at 7:41:18 pm
You can see the new top in action by using this link
Roger987 - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 10:47:21 am
[www.porsche.com]

I selected the HQ version, and it worked fine.

Once you select HQ, there's a 7 second countdown, and then a side-view of the car. By dragging the circular icon across the bar, you can make the roof open and close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 10:50AM by Roger987. (view changes)
Very cool. First time I've seen a mouse controlled convertible top. winking smiley

I never thought to check the website. Just surprised that they have it on the website before it's officially unvailed.
There is SO MUCH right about the new 911
Roger987 - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 2:23:40 pm
I'm wagering that the new Boxster will be equally superb.

Guenter, although you've been concerned about the possible demise of the flat 6 in the Boxster, I think ultimately you'll be euphoric with your third generation Boxster.

My only questions are:

1. whether you'l be able to hold off until the 2014 model, when most of the first-year gremlins will have been sorted. I think not. We both know those seemingly innocuous bits of metal in your oil filter and the leaking water pump will play on your mind over the next 5 sn*w-filled months. Your car is sending you a message Guenter. By next spring, you'll be camped out at the Pcar dealer, pen in hand. winking smiley

2. whether there are any options, apart from the ceramic brakes, that you won't select on the order form.

3. whether you'll special-order your favourite silver. grinning smiley
Re: There is SO MUCH right about the new 911
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 3:44:40 pm
Roger987
I'm wagering that the new Boxster will be equally superb.

Guenter, although you've been concerned about the possible demise of the flat 6 in the Boxster, I think ultimately you'll be euphoric with your third generation Boxster.

My only questions are:

1. whether you'l be able to hold off until the 2014 model, when most of the first-year gremlins will have been sorted. I think not. We both know those seemingly innocuous bits of metal in your oil filter and the leaking water pump will play on your mind over the next 5 sn*w-filled months. Your car is sending you a message Guenter. By next spring, you'll be camped out at the Pcar dealer, pen in hand. winking smiley

2. whether there are any options, apart from the ceramic brakes, that you won't select on the order form.

3. whether you'll special-order your favourite silver. grinning smiley

Roger, from all the latest reading I've done, it sounds like the turbo 4 is not yet ready and will likely be a couple of years before it finds its way into the Boxster and possibly as an option in one model (Maybe an "econoBoxster"?.

In regard to what you said above:

1. I've never bought a brand new model in the first year for the exact reason you mentioned. Also, no one seems at all concerned about a couple of tiny specs in the filter. I'll certainly keep an eye on it, but won't loose any sleep over it. The water pump will be replaced and I'll want to get my money's worth out of it before I sell the car. smiling smiley So, my pen will be safely in my pocket come spring. That doesn't mean that I can go and have a look. cool smiley

2. I'll have at least 2 or 3 years to check over the options, but there are quite a few that wouldn't be checked off - ceramic brakes being one of them and I'll leave you guessing as to whether I'll check off PDK or not. winking smiley

3. Yes, I'm hoping they'll come out with or bring back a nicer silver than the platinum.
Roger987 - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 4:10:29 pm
1. Shopping can be fun. Shopping for a PORSCHE, even more so. Shopping without having to break open the wallet, priceless.

2. PASM and built-in Nav are very enjoyable. Not cheap, but worth it. The Nav interface offers much more than simply navigation. You'd love the sport setting in the BRBS environs.

3. Unless you lose the use of your arms (and both feet), you'll not be buying a PDK car. In fact, even if you had to fly to the Porsche factory to lend a hand installing a manual transmission, you'd do it. Actually, you'd probably pay them for the opportunity. winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 7:52:48 pm
Roger987
1. Shopping can be fun. Shopping for a PORSCHE, even more so. Shopping without having to break open the wallet, priceless.

2. PASM and built-in Nav are very enjoyable. Not cheap, but worth it. The Nav interface offers much more than simply navigation. You'd love the sport setting in the BRBS environs.

3. Unless you lose the use of your arms (and both feet), you'll not be buying a PDK car. In fact, even if you had to fly to the Porsche factory to lend a hand installing a manual transmission, you'd do it. Actually, you'd probably pay them for the opportunity. winking smiley

Yesirree. Priceless is good. smiling smiley

PASM would be on the list. I'm not sure about the Nav system. Are they now updateable? From time to time you see people frustrated because they can't update the maps and info. Are you able to plan trips on the Factory Nav? With my Garmin, I can plan a trip using MapQuest and then download it into the unit. It works like a charm when planning out a route. Also in busy areas you can get traffic updates and it also has free lifetime map updates.

How did you know that I'd be leaning toward a manual transmission? grinning smiley
Nope. A car like a Boxster should never be gray. sad smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 7:58:48 pm
On the other hand, silver is THE Porsche colour. cool smiley
Re: Nope. A car like a Boxster should never be gray. sad smiley
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, at 8:17:04 pm
Seal gray isn't half bad, and what the heck is colour???

It's COLOR! grinning smiley
Gary in SoFL
Seal gray isn't half bad, and what the heck is colour???

It's COLOR! grinning smiley

Hey, north of the border, we've just got more ink to squander. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login