Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
98 Boxster Soft Top Lid Stuck Closed--Help!
RayinVA - Sunday, 24 July, 2011, at 4:17:22 pm
Gang,

Been a while since I have been on...appreciate any advice you can offer. Here's the scoop:
-While dropping the soft top back in, I heard a cracking noise while the lid was seating. It is now stuck down and won't open with the switch. I think I broke the strut with the red plastic end (by way of flashlight, it is broken for sure)

Any advice?

Thanks,

Ray
Re: 98 Boxster Soft Top Lid Stuck Closed--Help!
frogster - Sunday, 24 July, 2011, at 8:16:10 pm
there are instructions in the owner's manual on how to raise the top manually. it involves disconnecting the top from the gearing and motor. Not hard if you follow the instructions.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Ray:

The real problem when the top is stuck in the completely open / down position, with the clamshell on top of it is that it is difficult to do the Owner's Manual manual procedure grinning smiley because of the tremendous pressure that the black "hydraulic" pushrods receive, because that is what holds the clamshell secure after it closes down on the canvas portion of the top...

If you have a '97 to '99 Boxster, it is more likely that something else also happened (e.g., the V-levers have over-rotated and are "pretzeled". (NY term, LOL!)

The convertible top can and does operate with only one plastic ball cup attached and intact as it acts on one side of the canvas' frame member.

I wrote up a different procedure a while ago, but will have to search for it to post a link to it, with photos. It involves unbolting the 19mm bolt that resides in the middle of the convertible top transmission, where each one secures its respective V-Lever

Regards, Maurice.
Re: 98 Boxster Soft Top Lid Stuck Closed--Help!
RayinVA - Monday, 25 July, 2011, at 8:52:48 pm
Maurice,

Thanks..you have it right, the clamshell just won't budge. I've looked at the instructions on one link, but I couldn't follow it.

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login