Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
DIY Transmission Rebuild?
crumbum - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 5:40:27 pm
I have the typical 2nd gear synchro issue on my 2000 Boxster S. When I bought it, I (regrettably) did not do a PII and overpaid too. Yes, I can analyze the things I SHOULD have done, but I am trying to look forward on how to get us much enjoyment out of my purchase.

I have already done some work on it myself (water pump, radiator, short circuit repair, transmission fluid, oil and filter) which chewed further into the $$$.

The only nagging issue that I am now aware of is this 2nd gear grinding. I have figured out that I can double-clutch (up) into 2nd without the grind. However, that doesn't make for sporty shifting (at least not how I double-clutch) and also doesn't work well for shifting down for a turn.

Is it possible to do a DIY repair on the 2nd gear synchro? Are there step-by-step details available on how to do it? I have seen instructions for other transmissions (below), but not for the Boxster 6-speed. Any help?

URL1
URL2
Also, there has been a lot of talk here about replacing the front motor mount. I, too, have a 2000S with 54K miles and am not satisfied with the precision and effort necessary to work the shifter as well as the quality of the linkage. Mine appears to require 1) a warm tranny, 2) shifts made at a certain pace and 3) a precise and firm shift. No where near as fun as all of my other cars, namely, '97 Boxster (gone), '95 Audi S6 and '97 993tt.
Re: DIY Transmission Rebuild?
por911(bc) - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 11:12:09 pm
You might check the trans and motor mount. I put in a 997 shifter housing that really improved things. Having said that, if your interested in rebuilding the gearbox, the factory manual set for the 986 and 996 covers that gearbox pretty well. The press tools are available through outlets like www.samstagsales.com. These gearboxes are more in relation to VW/Audi AG products, which is maybe not a good thing(a little more delicate in my book). Having said that, I assume you've changed out the gearbox fluid and flushed the clutch slave fluid to ascertain that this might be an internal gearbox issue(ie syncro, pinion shaft or bearing, etc..)
regards
crumbum - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 11:43:56 pm
Thank you for the comments guys.

I have changed the gearbox fluid, but have not changed the clutch slave cylinder or the brake fluid (which I believe also runs the clutch slave, right?)

I did call a local independent who specializes in Porsches, explained to him that it REALLY crunches and grinds getting it into second if I dont double-clutch. He told me that it was the 2nd gear synchro.

Factory manual for the transmission? Where do I get one of those?

Also, is this a job that one shoudl honestly take on as DIY?
I'll pull out my Boxster factory manual and see what the tranny section has. It may have tranny teardown and rebuild steps. If you want, and can wait that long, send me a PM and when I return to my references I'll find the info -- if it exists -- and send it to you in a PDF file.

My WAG is it is doable but unless one has lots of experience with other transmissions he is better off not tackling the job until he has the the instructions or the benefit of some's DIY document.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
danz76 - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 3:41:10 pm
I've looked into this for my '01 S and concluded that its a pretty big job best left to an experienced pro shop.
There are lots of transmissions
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 6:47:23 pm
from wrecks around the Porsche-specializing salvage yards. List of such yards here
They haven't done any: The 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions are quite robust. One tech said the 6-speed tranny job requires a 40 ton press. What else is required the tech didn't have time to share.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login