Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
front trunk hood sticks
jmr986 - Sunday, 4 December, 2011, at 9:34:02 pm
When I hit the switch to open my front trunk it unlatches but the hood doesn't "pop." I can pry it open until it catches in the latch, then open it as usual moving the red lever. It's a 2001 battery is fine, although it is only the second battery. I lubed up the struts just in case. Sadly I just put it in storage ... sigh. So I'll deal with it next year. Thanks Joe
hardware needs some lubrication so the hardware moves more freely. The spring feels as strong as ever based on the force it takes to close/latch the hood the final bit of distance.

The latch hardware is covered/hidden by the plastic panel that runs along the front of the car just ahead of the front trunk. The plastic is easy to remove. In my car's case just a few easy to get at fasteners. I can't remember if the front trunk rubber weather stripping has to be pulled up a bit too. I have had to remove this before to remove the front bumper but it has been a few years since I've done this and I've forgotten.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks, when I bring her out from winter hibernation I'll lube it all up. Seems that it did just start with the cold weather.
can be resurrected with proper lubing. He advised cleaning the latch with some WD-40 then applying heavy grease.

He said in a few cases he had found the latch to be worn out and needing replacement.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Also, should the hood not stay up well once fully opened,
Laz - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 9:19:39 am
it could be worn struts, which are more affected by the colder weather.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: front trunk hood sticks
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 11:35:30 am
I have the same problem with my '99. The latch releases, but the hood no longer pops up with enough clearance to access the red release lever. I have to wedge my fingers under the edges to pop that initial inch. I assume there is some spring adjustment, but haven't spent the time to investigate.
Under the front edge ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 10 December, 2011, at 10:32:51 am
... of the front trunk, on either edge, you'll find two black rubber stoppers.
These are threaded and screw in and out of the sheetmetal allowing you to adjust how much the trunk pops open after the latch releases.
Adjust it so you have just enough bounce back to allow your fingers to slide under the edge and access the red lever.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The concerns being aerodynamics and wind noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 01:23PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login