Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Spark Plug Tubes
bar10dah - Sunday, 28 August, 2011, at 12:44:23 pm
While attempting to pull the spark plug tubes out, the end of the needlenose broke the tube. Does the broken bits of plastic that are in that part of the engine pose any problem?
However, there is no direct path for the oil or pieces of tube in the oil from under the camshaft covers to the oil sump. Even if there were this is not a biggie. The pieces can't get into the clean portion of the oil system which means they can't get into the high pressure portion of the oil system. In short they can't damage bearings or block oil passages/holes.

The oil under the camshaft must go through an oil scavage pump there is one under each camshaft cover.

The scavage pump IIRC has a screen/mesh at its intake side/port that should keep the larger pieces of plastic from going through. The amount of plastic should not block this screen though of course that's in that coin flip I mentioned above.

It is possible that some of the material could be busted up a bit upon engine start by the violence of the cam and oil and air whipping about under the camshaft cover which causes these plastic pieces to whip about and break up or even get momentarily caught in a valve spring's coils and so on.

There is very little (I would say none but can't be 100% certain) chance this plastic debris would cause any trouble. The pieces small enough to pass through the scavage pump screen would be broken up to even smaller bits and then there is the high pressure oil pump which would just about pulverize the plastic to very small particles. The oil filter would then stop these plastic bits from going further.

If you are uncomfortable then you'll have to try to remove the plastic or failing that remove or pay to have the camshaft cover removed and the pieces cleaned out and the camshaft cover reinstalled.

This is a bit of work. The exhaust manifold has to come off and the cams have to be secured from moving since the camshaft cover is the upper half of the camshaft bearings. Furthermore the camshaft bolts should be replaced with new ones and the camshaft cover treated to a sealant (bead of sealant) to make the camshaft cover oil tight.

A bit of work. I would guesstimate 4 to 6 hours of labor and probably close to $100 in parts/materials and such.

But if in the remote chance the plastic caused grief in the engine you'd be looking at the above or even worse.

You are between a rock and hard place.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Hope I won the coin toss...
bar10dah - Sunday, 28 August, 2011, at 8:03:57 pm
Thanks. From the looks of the tube and the broken piece, it's a perfect fit. So whatever smaller shards that broke off and fell into the camshaft area are very minuscule, if at all.

After that fiasco with the first tube, I took Pedro's advice and went to Bass Pro to pick up a 1" transom plug. Worked beautifully on the remaining five tubes. Should have done that to begin with...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2011 08:04PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login