Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Finding Castrol Edge 5W40....?
MikeTZ - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 9:22:12 am
Just wanted to see if anyone else is having a hard time finding the Castrol Edge 5W40 with Syntec...? I can find the 5W40 with Titanium at several stores (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc) but not the one with Syntec. There was even a new 5W40 Edge with FST...? Never heard of that one!
Mike
Just picked some up at AutoZone last Friday....
jg wnc - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 10:18:10 am
Unfortunately they only stock 6 quarts at a time, so I have to go back and get the rest this week. Castrol has a $7 rebate on 5 quarts, so this works out to be a pretty good deal now.
All castrol synthetic is being rebranded Edge
grant - Monday, 5 December, 2011, at 11:00:32 am
There's real edge, and edge with Syntec technology ( re branded, but improved stock).

True edge uses a superb base stock, but is available in fewer grades. In part due to an absolute absence of VIIs.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: All castrol synthetic is being rebranded Edge
MikenOH - Wednesday, 7 December, 2011, at 9:15:24 pm
Ok, Grant you've got us in suspense---which grades are the true edge? How do they get away without using VII's?
I cant recall the details, btu its very clearly labeled. (more)
grant - Thursday, 8 December, 2011, at 12:18:54 pm
If it says "edge with syntec technology" its syntec, but improved ( my contact was not all that specific, although i think the base stock is improved).
If it just says edge, its edge. There is also Edge with Titanium, but i have no data on it aside from public marketing stuff.

"real" edge is formulated in additional weights and ranges for Europe but not sold here. For example, the "real thing" is formulated in Europe in 5w40 for Porsche, Audi/VW, and others. It has other changes to meet the Euro push for long drain intervals ( Green issue in Europe) and to overcome some of thsoe manufacturers' past issues with sludge (eg; VW 505)

All 3 listed on regular old web page:

[www.castrol.com]

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login