Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Personal Opinion Re: CDR23
mnchstrcityblues79 - Thursday, 19 January, 2012, at 11:11:34 pm
I am sure this topic has been addressed ad nauseam, but what is everyone's opinion re the CDR23 and how to address its shortcomings? Particularly, I think it is a substandard receiver to have with the BOSE package (which my Boxster has) and the inability to use any USB/iPod device is infuriating.

So what are some suggestions to address this rather minor issue? I know the Denison Gateway 500 would solve the USB/iPod issue but at $400 or so bucks, it hardly seems worth it. Has anyone installed an aftermarket receiver with MOST and/or the BOSE package? I don't want to disrupt the appearance of the interior if I don't have to.

I know, I know, a rather vain concern but I value all your opinions.

Kind regards
Re: Personal Opinion Re: CDR23 and no analogue aux
ouroboros - Saturday, 21 January, 2012, at 2:08:42 pm
I added a touchscreen DVD/Satnav 2 DIN unit for a while and went into the CDR 23 with a FM modulator. It sounded okay, but then I realized the maps & music on my iPhone were better than any aftermarket 2 din out there (even in the newest OEM car today).

You can take an iPhone/iPod via the 3.5mm Becker telephone jack I think. Only Mono, but being as this sound system isn't the best, esp with the top down I plan to do this using something like a pro clip to mount my iPhone (It works nicely on my other cars).

A proper job would be Dension, then again I;d want to check it does't kick the iPhone into accessory mode first . It really annoys me when car systems do this(like Mercedes does). I have to try select my songs using 1980's menus rather than my iPhone touchscreen!

The ultimate would be taking the CDR23 apart and getting the telephone in, in stereo. No idea if this is possible, but it would give me:
a) a proper analogue aux in
b) still allow me to control my songs on the iPhone touchscreen
ouroboros
I added a touchscreen DVD/Satnav 2 DIN unit for a while and went into the CDR 23 with a FM modulator. It sounded okay, but then I realized the maps & music on my iPhone were better than any aftermarket 2 din out there (even in the newest OEM car today).

You can take an iPhone/iPod via the 3.5mm Becker telephone jack I think. Only Mono, but being as this sound system isn't the best, esp with the top down I plan to do this using something like a pro clip to mount my iPhone (It works nicely on my other cars).

A proper job would be Dension, then again I;d want to check it does't kick the iPhone into accessory mode first . It really annoys me when car systems do this(like Mercedes does). I have to try select my songs using 1980's menus rather than my iPhone touchscreen!

The ultimate would be taking the CDR23 apart and getting the telephone in, in stereo. No idea if this is possible, but it would give me:
a) a proper analogue aux in
b) still allow me to control my songs on the iPhone touchscreen

Have you thought about a replacement for the CDR23? My biggest concern in replacing the unit would be the fact that it might stick out like a sore thumb and there is always the issue of whether it would be compatible with the MOST connection. Crutchfield doesn't even ask if your vehicle has the BOSE package so maybe it's not a big deal.
Re: Personal Opinion Re: CDR23 and no analogue aux
ouroboros - Sunday, 22 January, 2012, at 8:46:34 am
I did replace the unit once with a 2 DIN unit.

BUT I still needed the CDR 23 as the input to the MOST fibre bus, which I interfaced with over a FM modulator. Was not great.

You could only replace the unit with a MOST compatible unit. Before the MOST cars came out I think it was a fully analogue system
Trying doing a search for a MOST compatible head unit and you are SOL it seems. I much prefers old CDR22 (or whatever it was). At least that gave you better options.
I don't think there is a cheap solution, however
Boxsterra - Sunday, 22 January, 2012, at 10:25:28 am
The cheaper Dension units, though still overpriced, are not terrible

$259 for MOST iPod/iPhone/USB integration here
[www.amazon.com]

mObridge also makes a unit but it is expensive
[www.amazon.com]

And of course there is the option of FM transmitters or in-line antenna adapters, which are much lower quality but "work".
Re: I don't think there is a cheap solution, however
ouroboros - Monday, 23 January, 2012, at 1:55:30 pm
259 is pretty good. It was always 500 when I was thinking about this a few years ago. I'm still going for the telephone input aux first with no stereo!
It's not just not stereo
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 11:01:33 pm
I believe it only comes out of the front left speaker. It would be strange to listen to music that way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login