Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Tire Life expectancy (6 year discussion)
grant - Friday, 9 December, 2011, at 12:16:52 pm
While i personally feel that this is merely a conservative suggestion that people consider that tires' lives are finite in time, even with light mileage, and while i feel that one can easily test (or have them tested), i went and did a little research on who's actually saying what. I'd seen the warnings, but too long ago to quote the "whom"

the summary is:

• Vehicle Manufacturers Recommend Replacement at 6 Years
• Tire Manufacturers' Warranties Expire at 6 Years
• Tire Manufacturers Recommend Replacement at 10 Years
• Industry Experts Recommend Replacement at 10 Years

You can find one summary of this issue here:

Discount Tire's summary

NHTSA is currently studying the issues (e.g.: no US Gummit or official industry rulings so far)

But the British ruber manufacturers have taken a stand, and is the source of the 6 year rule:

"The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture." (source: Tirerack.com; MOT)

The Wall Street Journal (surprisingly, not Dan Neil) notes:

"A: I wouldn't replace the tires yet. While I'm aware of the six-year rule, I have also heard that 10 years is the lifespan of a set of tires. Tires degrade with time and exposure to sunlight and other elements. Still, I think six years is a conservative estimate. The Rubber Manufacturers Association, a tire trade group, says it knows of no data that conclusively link a tire's age with serviceability." (emphasis added)

So, i conclude:

1. there is no hard and fast rule
2. there is an age limit to tires based purely on time
3. it varies greatly based on storage conditions
4. it has little or nothing to do with being high performance, except that we crash at higher rates of speed than others do

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Tire Life expectancy (6 year discussion)
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 9 December, 2011, at 1:34:14 pm
Thanks for doing that research, Grant.

That look like some useful information, specially coming from the source - the rubber manufacturers.

Some good, I guess you could call it guidelines. ..... Take a look at tires that you're buying - don't buy 6 year old tires, but that generally you should be OK driving on tires up to 10 years old.

As always, it also depends on the type of driving you're doing. If I was driving on the track and doing some high speed or driving the twisties "with gusto", would I do it with 8 year old tires? Nope.

Of course, I can't get my tires to last that long so it's a mute point.
Yes, Porsche installs a device to ensure tires never die of old age... the gas pedal! grinning smiley
Re: Tire Life expectancy (6 year discussion)
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 9 December, 2011, at 3:53:14 pm
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Yes, Porsche installs a device to ensure tires never die of old age... the gas pedal! grinning smiley

You've got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling bouncing smiley

...but, there are those people who just don't use that gas pedal enough. They really miss what these cars are really all about.

I just prefer to suffer loudly from Permagrin. grinning smiley

i did inspect them carefully, inside and out, as did the local tire shop that's run by a grand am tire engineer.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login