Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
About noon I had a truck turn left in front of me, but I easily slowed for that. Then, another car behind the truck tried to follow the truck's path. That second car (a young gal with friends in a civic or other econobox) started a left turn in front me with no space to complete her turn. I braked hard but the stopping distance was too short. So, I tried to move to my right (same direction as her future path) but she kept going (she paniced and tried to finish her turn instead of braking). Then she saw that I was trying to go that way to avoid her. Then she braked. So, I swerved and avoided her car at the last second. BTW- I was doing the speed limit. smiling smiley

I am getting real tired of people turning or trying to turn in front of me. angry smiley Either they are not able to see my car (low profile/small frontal area/ocean blue color), mis-calculate the speed I am traveling or think that their cars are not vulnerable. I am sure that most of these people would not do the same type of left turn in front of an F350 or a semi-truck. It has happened so many times, that I now double check for those that attempt it.

This gal was probably trying to stay up with the truck and could not see that there was not a clear turn path.

I was ready for this one and thankful that my on-track experience paid off. There are a lot of idiot drivers out there. Be careful.
Tony, Glad all turned out well
dghii - Friday, 9 December, 2011, at 10:37:51 pm
Sometimes folks are idiots and sometimes folks just make mistakes. I'm glad you were paying attention and I hope the other diver learned a lesson. I have four boys ranging from 15 to 22. I have 30 seconds at a time to try to make them appreciate and understand that while it is easy to drive a car, it is difficult to be a good driver.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Tony, it's got nothing to do with you or your car.

I think that the more that cars do themselves, the less people think about their driving and what's going on around them. People are so busy texting, talking on cells, listening to their e-mails, chosing their tunes that driving is the last thing on their minds.

I had the same thing happen to me twice yesterday while driving my wife's red BMW with running lights on. The one time I braked hard enough to have the ABS kick in on dry pavement to avoid the collision. I leaned on the horn the whole time I was on the brakes, hoping that there'd be plenty of witnesses in case I didn't get stopped in time. Fortunately, I got stopped in time so I didn't hit the other car as it completed the left turn across my path.

Glad it worked out for you too.

Keep safe out there.
I find that in the Boxster, a lot of folks in taller SUVs don't see you as they are lane changing, and end up almost driving right into me even though I pretty much always have my headlights on. I don't have such an issue when driving my SUV. Glad to hear you avoided the accident.
it's what i call the nintendo mentality
frogster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 12:49:45 am
go go go go crash. press restart. it's just a game.

glad you made out okay tony. i would have hated to see your beautiful boxster get hurt (but if it ever does, can i have your wheels? grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Cool! But give me a bit of advance notice…
frogster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 11:12:19 am
… because I'll need to buy a boxster to put them on! smiling smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: Today I almost lost my chance for a 100K mile Boxster.....
db997S - Monday, 12 December, 2011, at 10:01:31 am
It's the James Dean syndrome. That's what supposedly got him killed by the dude turning left. On a hot, sunny California road, didn't see that Silver Lil' Bastard due to the heat waves coming off the pavement. Plus, I agree, it's drivers these days. They tool around thinking that they are the only ones in world. We all have brain frats from time to time, but mostly it's simply bad driving. I had a driver pullout infront of me yesterday. She was turning right on red, but the problem was, she treated the red light as a yield sign. To top it off, I checked my rearview mirror and there wasn't a sole behind me. God for bid you brake and have to wait five extra seconds to make your turn. Luckily, two-lanes in each direction, so I was able to get over.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login