Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New Porsche Owner With Some Random Questions
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 12:59:08 pm
Tomorrow I take possession of an '09S (my first Porsche) w/ 11500-miles. I've been a member of PPBB and now this board in anticipation of getting a Boxster, and the stars have finally aligned so that the purchase can be made. The car is getting a clear bra installed and I will begin Boxstering after work.

I know I am going to have to train myself to take it easy on bad roads, as I drive an SUV and am used to bouncing over RR tracks and broken concrete. The Boxster is my new daily driver from March~November w/ the SUV as my backup and winter vehicle. The little woman and I plan to take lots of small trips in it, as well as attending this year's BRBS.

I have a few questions now, and probably lots more later:

1. The car currently has 19" wheels, but will be replaced w/ 18"ers for the smoother ride. How much of a performance loss can I expect in handling when moving to the smaller wheels?

2. Since there is no spare and the car supposedly comes with a can of "fix-a-flat", should the car also come w/ an electric tire pump as Porsche's online video suggests?

3. Any recommendations on a safe aluminum wheel cleaner? The one I was using damaged a previous vehicle's wheels.

4. Do all tires (e.g. Sumitomos and Kumhos) support TPMS?

5. I plan on mating my iPhone to the PCM 3.1. Can anyone recommend a good car holder (powered or unpowered) for the phone?

Thanx in advance!

In a service bay at Beechwood Porsche

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 01:02PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
First CONGRATULATIONS. You will love the world of Permagrin.

That car looks like a beauty. I'll look forward to seeing it in person at BRBS. Depending on when you're headed to BRBS, you might even be able to hook up with the CanAm Caravan. The more the merrier. smiling smiley

1. As far as the wheels. 18" and 19" it's likely more the look than the difference in the performance. The 18's (which I have) will give you a bit more ride comfort with a bit more sidewall to soak up bumps. I always watch out for rough RR crossings and rough roads. Also watch parking curbs. They can scrape up the the bottom of the nose.

2. The car came with a can of "fix-a-flat" and an electic tire pump. They should be in the kit in the front trunk. Get the salesman to show you where they are to check they're still in the car.

3. I've only used warm water, a sponge and some mother's wax and my wheels still look like new after 6 years and 53 K miles.

4. The TPMS sensor is attached to the centre of the wheel. It doesn't matter what kind of tires you have. (You might also look at the thread called "Question on TPMS Sensors by DougW posted a few days ago.)

You'll be glad you got the clear bra. It does an amazing job of protecting the front of the car.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling bouncing smiley

KevinR-MedinaOhio
Tomorrow I take possession of an '09S (my first Porsche) w/ 11500-miles. I've been a member of PPBB and now this board in anticipation of getting a Boxster, and the stars have finally aligned so that the purchase can be made. The car is getting a clear bra installed and I will begin Boxstering after work.

I know I am going to have to train myself to take it easy on bad roads, as I drive an SUV and am used to bouncing over RR tracks and broken concrete. The Boxster is my new daily driver from March~November w/ the SUV as my backup and winter vehicle. The little woman and I plan to take lots of small trips in it, as well as attending this year's BRBS.

1. The car currently has 19" wheels, but will be replaced w/ 18"ers for the smoother ride. How much of a performance loss can I expect in handling when moving to the smaller wheels?

2. Since there is no spare and the car supposedly comes with a can of "fix-a-flat", should the car also come w/ an electric tire pump as Porsche's online video suggests?

3. Any recommendations on a safe aluminum wheel cleaner? The one I was using damaged a previous vehicle's wheels.

5. I plan on mating my iPhone to the PCM 3.1. Can anyone recommend a good car holder (powered or unpowered) for the phone?

Thanx in advance!

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]

Does car have OEM iPhone integration (can't remember is std in '09)? For mount, look into something called Pro-clip. I see you also have XM radio.

Yes, PCM 3.1 comes w/ Bluetooth phone integration. I synched my phone once to try it out. Other than that, I can't tell you much about the electronics as there are no manuals. I am pressuring the dealer to produce a set so I can figure everything out.

That car looks like a beauty. I'll look forward to seeing it in person at BRBS. Depending on when you're headed to BRBS, you might even be able to hook up with the CanAm Caravan. The more the merrier

I was looking forward to convoying down w/ everyone Wednesday, but my better half has to work that day, so we are leaving NE Ohio early Thursday morning (we live 10-minutes from I77), and plan to arrive by 5p for the registration. If anyone else is leaving that day, maybe we can hookup.

Another question: The car comes w/ the 6-year warranty (3-years left on it). What does the paperwork for it look like?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Congrats - looks like an '09 launch edition smileys with beer
Burg Boxster - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 2:21:38 pm
Always liked that color combo. Some answers to your questions:

KevinR-MedinaOhio
Tomorrow I take possession of an '09S (my first Porsche) w/ 11500-miles. I've been a member of PPBB and now this board in anticipation of getting a Boxster, and the stars have finally aligned so that the purchase can be made. The car is getting a clear bra installed and I will begin Boxstering after work. is contact I sent doing? If you are getting hood done, I suggest getting full hood done not just the usually 18-24" rise.

1. The car currently has 19" wheels, but will be replaced w/ 18"ers for the smoother ride. How much of a performance loss can I expect in handling when moving to the smaller wheels?have you driven it w/ the 19" wheels vs 18"? 19"s are smoother than you think they might be. Typical drivers experience zero change in performance moving to 18" - maybe pick up a few MPGs over the course of a few tanks b/c of lower unsprung weight

indeed it does - located in frunk behind panel which also contains amp, tool kit and fix-a-flat goop. Suggest you pick up a tire patch kit at local parts store to toss in there too. Re-up your AAA especially after CPO/Warranty expires but get used to this trend as most car mfgs are excluding spares these days to lower weight for increased fuel economy.

Automotive soap and water should be adequate enough for 99% of cleanings if good coat of wax/rejex/etc. on wheels. For stubborn spots/really dirty wheels, use a safe wheel cleaner like Griot's (available at AdvanceAuto stores) or P21S

Yes TPMS compatible w/ all inflated tubeless tires - it monitors air pressure not tires. OEM, it's a part of valve-stem which you will not be changing (but can move over to other TPMS compatible rims as needed). Expect, in most cases, life of TPMS sensor in wheel to last ~ 5-7 years

Does car have OEM iPhone integration (can't remember is std in '09)? For mount, look into something called Pro-clip. I see you also have XM radio.

Thanx in advance!

Congrats again and enjoy your new Boxster smileys with beer
"fix-a-flat" goop and tire patch kit
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 3:27:11 pm
As Scott just suggested, a tire patch kit is likely the better solution than the fix-a-flat. I would think that the goop would likely foul/plug up the TPMS sensor as well as the hole in the tire. The goop makes a mess of the inside of the tire, that needs to be cleaned up and add to that the cost of a new sensor (about $120 for one). So it's not just the cost, but the goop is only a temporary solution to get you to the nearest service center.

I believe Pedro has had good luck with the patch kit lasting the life of the tire - I'll let him confirm that though.

In either of these cases, they will only work if the leak is inside the tread area of the tire. If it's in the sidewall, there's no fixing it.
Re: "fix-a-flat" goop and tire patch kit
jwdbox - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 6:31:45 pm
Guenter in Ontario
As Scott just suggested, a tire patch kit is likely the better solution than the fix-a-flat. I would think that the goop would likely foul/plug up the TPMS sensor as well as the hole in the tire. The goop makes a mess of the inside of the tire, that needs to be cleaned up and add to that the cost of a new sensor (about $120 for one). So it's not just the cost, but the goop is only a temporary solution to get you to the nearest service center.In either of these cases, they will only work if the leak is inside the tread area of the tire. If it's in the sidewall, there's no fixing it.

I keep Slime Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System in SilverBox (as well as all of my cars- the others have actual spares. Slime does not affect the TPMS and can easily be washed out if the tire is dismounted. A number of my fellow Porsche owners do the same. It is very easy to use and except for a total blowout/rip will work fine. I have no affiliation with the company but have used it for years.cool smiley
Re: Zainos & Brake Dust Cleaning
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 7:57:09 am
MikenOH
Kevin, since you're just up the road from me we'll have to get together to compare notes.

I use zaino car wash and then the zaino polish on them

Sure, anytime. I currently am working till 2p each day w/ Wed-Thur off.

Also, I have been using Zainos on my other cars for a couple years and will be spending Tue & Wed polishing this car w/ it. I have an order coming from them today and will look into their wheel polish.

Getting brake dust off the wheels is a concern. The stuff sticks to the aluminum wheels of my Gran Cherokee like glue and only a dedicated brake dust cleaner seemed to work.

My biggest decision is what vanity plates to get. I can't decide between something Porsche-related or another theme.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 07:58AM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Woolite or generic is great for cleaning brake dust.
Laz - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 8:21:03 am
Get the long handled foam wheel cleaning brushes from Griot's Garage along with natural fiber long handled brushes GG might also have. Williams-Sonoma carries pretty much the same kind of bristle brush. An advantage is the soft ferrule so it won't scratch the wheels.
Re: Brake Dust Cleaning & Tire Repair
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 11:00:44 am
Thanx for the suggestions. I just ordered P21S and the Slime kit from Amazon.

I also went to the ProClip site and looked at their excellent iPhone mount. Once I get the car home tonite, I'll decide where I want to mount it and get one ordered.

Re: New Porsche Owner With Some Random Questions
silverbox03 - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 3:38:14 pm
Kinda late to this thread, so not much to add. I think your questions have been answered.

I autocrossed for a while years ago and, in my experience, the largest wheels with ultra low-profile tires are not always the best performing. I think 18's are a practical choice. The rubber you choose will be more important in finding a balance in ride, handling, wear, etc. I have run Pirelli P-zero for the last few years and have been satisfied. The choices are many, but the good thing today is you almost have to try to make a bad choice, tire technology what it is today.

As was suggested, try the setup that's on the car. The Boxster has an extemely forgiving suspension, considering the performance it delivers.

A heads-up on wheel cleaners; I only use them when necessary. One really bad one that I was unfortunate to try was Armourall's. It seemed to "etch" the finish on my wheels to the point where I had to polish and wax them in order to bring back the gloss, wtf?

That is a great looking car, and I love the tire and wheel set that's on there. Enjoy!
MikenOH - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 9:35:24 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio

Kevin, since you're just up the road from me we'll have to get together to compare notes.

I have 18" wheels and think the car gives up nothing to 19" wheels other than a more supple ride and less of a chance to damage a wheel if you hit a pothole.

In the front trunk I think--squarish black box which if you pop it open will include an 12v air pump.

I use zaino car wash and then the zaino polish on them

IIRC, any tire that will fit on the rim will work.

Can't help you..

Great looking car, BTW. Do you plan to auto-x it?

Thanx in advance!

Beautiful car Kevin!
jg wnc - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 8:37:28 am
Enjoy your permagrin!

For wheel cleaning, I use P21S from carcareonline.com . I use the gel version and dilute it 50/50 with water. You still have to wipe the dirt off, but it does a great job loosening the brake dust from the wheels. I have been doing this for years with no damage to the wheels.
Congratulations and Happy Motoring! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 10:37:27 am
Frissen - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 9:51:13 pm
Congrats on the new purchase, enjoy and drive fast smiling smiley

Don't worry much because Boxster are tough smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login