Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Remote Locking Rattling Sound
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 10:35:45 am
When I lock or unlock my doors with the remote, I hear a terrible rattling/clanking sound.

I did a search and found only one posting that pointed to the fuel door as the culprit. However it did not address fixing the problem

Any Ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated
John99Boxster
When I lock or unlock my doors with the remote, I hear a terrible rattling/clanking sound.

I did a search and found only one posting that pointed to the fuel door as the culprit. However it did not address fixing the problem

of the fuel filler cavity through which the fuel door locking pin slides.

For some reason this bushing can come loose and not only can the mechanism make a bit of noise -- though not much is my memory -- the fuel fillter door will not lock.

This bushing can lay on the bottom of the fuel filler cavity -- where I found the one from my car -- and can be pressed back into place. In my car's case the bushing had a specific orientation -- there was a 'key' or 'nub' that meant the bushing had to be lined up just so before I could push it back into the hole and it snapped into place with a distinctive well, snap,

Of course you must make sure the locking pin fits through the hole through the bushing and after you get the bushing into place with the door open work the lock/unlock button and watch the pin slide out to where it should enage the hole of the door and secure the door and when you press the unlock the pin retracts.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Remote Locking Rattling Sound
SPG356 - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 11:16:58 am
John99Boxster

It is not clear what you did at the fuel door, but could be the fuel door lock actuator that is located inside the right front fender liner. When they go bad they make a horrible noise.

The part is about $50 at the dealer and takes about an hour to install. It's a pretty easy DIY.

HTH,

Sebastian
Re: Remote Locking Rattling Sound
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 12:56:19 pm
Definitely coming from inside the fuel door.
Where exactly....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 12:25:58 pm
John99Boxster

... do you hear the sound?
Inside a door or by the gas flap?
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Where exactly....
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 1:16:19 pm
It is definitely coming from the fuel door inside.
Re: Where exactly....
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 1:31:26 pm
How do I post a picture for you guys to see?
Here is a picture
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 1:45:28 pm

What is the round rubber donut in this pic??

John Bosmans
1999 Boxster
Midnight Blue Metallic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Rear Window
There should be a little black rubber stopper
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 1:52:23 pm
it would snap into the hole you see there. That would keep your fuel filler door from rattling against the fender. I would think that's the source of the rattling as you lock the car. The noise is probably the door rattling against that metal with the hole in it caused by the door lock pin sliding into place as you lock the car.

..oh, and glad to see you figured out the posting pictures part. thumbs up
What is this?
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 1:58:32 pm

Where does it belong? Its just hanging there?
I GOT IT!
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 2:09:16 pm
That is the stopper and it is supposed to be a semi circle......reinstalled it and ....no rattle......

THANK YOU ALL!

I still wonder what the thing is sticking out next to the pin???
Retention ring for the backup fuel filler door release
bar10dah - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 10:03:58 pm
John99Boxster

I still wonder what the thing is sticking out next to the pin???

It looks like the retention ring that's supposed to fit around the plunger (the thing that slides forward to lock the fuel filler door). The retention ring is part of the backup release for the fuel filler door. The other end of it is in the door jamb, above the top hinge, when you open up the passenger door.

Again, that's what it looks like. Not positive, though.
Thank Gunter...I got that.....pics posted
Thank goodness. The rattling was
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 3:32:26 pm
keep us all awake at night. grinning smiley
Re: Thank goodness. The rattling was
John99Boxster - Sunday, 11 December, 2011, at 4:49:06 pm
Guenter in Ontario
keep us all awake at night. grinning smiley

Sorry bout that Guentersmileys with beer
DIY to replace the actuator
bar10dah - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 10:23:46 pm
I know you solved your problem, but if you or anyone else wants DIY instructions on replacing the actuator: [www.renntech.org]

I followed these instructions and was able to replace mine fairly quickly and easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 10:25PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login