Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
More on the new Boxster from Excellence on line
Laz - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 9:13:27 am
Impressions

eBoxster

The site has a lot of on line exclusive articles:

Of Note

I didn't see it at the site, but the latest print edition has a good article by Chris Harris, too.
That's the second report I've read that says the shifts are smooth and easy, but rather long front to back. Hopefully, in the future they'll offer a short shift option again.

That's the first picture I've seen of the front trunk. Just wondering what the plastic container at the side is for, along with the plastic bag infront of the the battery/toolkit area.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
my guess - first aid kit and warning triangle.
Roger987 - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 11:06:42 am
de rigueur in Europe, but not in NA.
At the NY Auto Show a friend pointed this out and it did look that way to me; perhaps by a couple inches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 11:49AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
At the NY Auto Show a friend pointed this out and it did look that way to me; perhaps by a couple inches.

Hey, that means an extra layer of pizzas. smiling smiley
I saw one at one of the links posted here on the 981, about a month ago - can't remember which link.

To me, the trunk looked both longer (front to back) and a bit deeper perhaps.

On reflection, I no longer regard the 981 as a home run.

It's a grand slam.
Gman's already doing some R&D on a short-shifter... winking smiley
Roger987 - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 10:59:03 am
"Our test car has a six-speed manual — the old Getrag unit instead of the PDK-based seven-speed manual used in the new 991-based 911 — and it shifts beautifully, nearly guiding itself from second to third on the upshifts and accurately pulling up every other gear requested. Shift throws are slightly Carrera GT-ish, meaning they’re slightly long fore and aft and pretty tight side to side
Slightly different gearbox review in June print edition..
MikenOH - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 1:28:29 pm
--Throws are fairly long longitudinally

--Tight side to side

--Action is light but vague

--It finds the right gear but the engagement could be more positive

A bit less positive than the on-line review; same author.

Having said that, it was clear the author liked the car.

A few other notes:
-Completely automatic top--no latches. Major noise reductions in cabin noise due the the half hardtop section made of magnesium.

-In constant dollars, the 1997 2.5 L model would have run about $58k today vs. the new 2013 S which will cost about $61K--a major achievement in supplying a lot more car for not much more in equivalent dollars.
NBC--The same issue had an evaluation of the 996 TT
MikenOH - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 11:23:47 am
and thought it represented one of the best Porsche values around with regards to speed, handling and a stout drive train.
If I was looking for a used 911 for under $50K, I think I'd start with that model.
And a Teamspeed review:
Laz - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 11:34:24 am
[teamspeed.com]

ps: On my computer screen at least, the red paint rendition goes orange after the first image. Some sort of color space issue I think, and I see the effect often. Some clues are renderings of red calipers and taillights as orange. Does anyone else see this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 11:50AM by Laz. (view changes)
Motor Trend was not in love with it
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 22 April, 2012, at 12:46:14 pm
I'd summarize that objectively in every measurable area it was superior to the 987 yet they kept saying it had lost that "feel". While the article spent more space on the positives, all the negative sentences were used as larger type photo captions.

Don't see it yet online, just got my copy yesterday.
Come to PPBB first for the latest 981 and 991 reviews and critiques. Also for commentary about the G-man dribbling on his bib about these offerings. grinning smiley

[pedrosboard.com]
A review and set of pics from another board
MikenOH - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 9:32:52 am
[www.planet-9.com]

Someone that posts frequently on the planet 9 site attended the launch in the Canary Island last month month and he included a long review and lots of pictures.

In my view, this is one gorgeous car; check how the car looks in various colors. In dark grey or white I thought he car looked stunning.

Laz--is that dark grey car Agate or something else?

[i692.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 09:40AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: A review and set of pics from another board
Laz - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 11:14:55 am
At first I thought it's Agate, but the warm cast of the image as displayed on my screen makes me think it's Mahogany Metallic. The top looks too brown to be just a cast black top, and Agate with brown seems an unlikely combination, although aesthetically intriguing. The image just above it is definitely Mahogany, and they might be the same car. I would've provided links to images of Agate, but recently got rid of them as I was a) obsessing over them, and b) had crossed my color choice Rubicon when I placed the order. The 2D rendering of the color at Porsche's site isn't too far off; and some angles in 3D mode are close, too, in terms of hue and value, especially at full screen. The only time I've seen the color in the flesh as a whole vehicle was at the NY Auto Show, but the lighting was incredibly garish; not having much to do with any natural light environment.
deleted *NM*
MikenOH - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 12:36:44 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 12:54PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: A review and set of pics from another board
db997S - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 12:54:55 pm
The write up in Panomara on the Canary Island romp had a photo that indicated the rocks around the island reflecting in the Agate Grey paint, made the car appear brown at times. So, it could be Agate, but the relection of the landscape making the car look brown.
That's right. I forgot about that effect in those photos.
Laz - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 1:41:35 pm
Although some shots definitely look like there's a brown top and an Espresso interior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 01:42PM by Laz. (view changes)
Here's a link to the shots.
Laz - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 2:20:38 pm
Because the exterior color cast is cold is some images, and not just because of sky reflections, I believe this is Agate Grey Metallic. The exterior is somewhat warm in the other images. The interior being gray also supports the notion that it's Agate Grey.
[www.carmk.net]
Re: Here's a link to the shots.
Burg Boxster - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 2:57:00 pm
Wow - very sharp color! Thanks for posting link w/ great shots.

Incidentally, they did a great integrating rear park assist as opposed to plastering smack dab in middle of bumper skin as most mfg do. Which, even painted body color, still look like something out of JCWhitney catalogs...

smiling smiley
Ok, here's a video showing a bunch of the cars:
Laz - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 6:11:19 pm
At 8:47 what I'm sure is an Agate comes into view. Interestingly enough, it definitely has a brown top, and what looks like an Espresso interior, as I'd conjectured previously.
[www.youtube.com]
ABM is a desaturated color, and is close to Agate. Even at the Auto Show it was not very distinguishable.
Thank you for your concern. No problem there.
Laz - Monday, 23 April, 2012, at 7:55:14 pm
I'd forgotten about Anthracite being the near neutral color, Mahogany is very distinct. Agate is actually more of a preference to me now than Seal-- a novel color for the new car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login