Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Navigation system for 01 Boxter S
dutchmacy - Monday, 12 December, 2011, at 6:59:07 pm
I found a nav system that will fit into my 01 Boxter S. It is the unit only that fits into the dash. I have a normal radio with cd changer in the car now. What additional items will I need to install the system? i.e. harness antenna drive.
Re: Navigation system for 01 Boxter S
boxsterd - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 1:55:16 pm
What's the brand/model# of the nav system? I've been wondering about doing something similar.
dutchmacy - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 3:08:14 pm
it is a system that came out of another Porsche...My question is whether or not the car is ready to accept the unit or do I have to buy and install other things....
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 12:17:11 pm
If the system is the PCM1 be aware that updates for it are no longer available and haven't been since about 2002. The PCM2 system is a CAN based unit and would require a large amount of rewiring work to fit into a 2001 Boxster.

I have an '02S with the PCM1 system and it is almost useless for any detail work; it will get me into the general area and then I have to rely on maps or an additional GPS.
jlegelis - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 1:18:58 pm
Why bother? Honestly, mapping technology is moving so quickly that the built-in OEM platforms can't possibly keep up.

All Android phones have free, voice activated, turn-by-turn mapping built in for free. iPhones can get this functionality as an add-on... both you can easily move from car-to-car. Just my $0.02.
RainyDayGarage - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 6:48:31 pm
Have to agree with you...an OEM system would be at least a few generations behind in tech (UI, sensitivity, etc..). Besides, updated maps for the OEM systems would probably be expensive and always behind those from dedicated GPS vendors.

Just seem like a big waste of money and effort for no real benefits.
Dave In MD - Sunday, 18 December, 2011, at 6:58:39 pm
Have a holder and a Garmin Nuvi in my Boxster. Agree with others here that the GPS units from that age are no comparison to the modern units. I now have the second Garmin on this holder. It can be plugged into my computer with routes and points of interest downloaded and map updates applied. I also download red light and speed camera locations and the GPS warns when approaching them. The features are just too nice so I avoid buying the built in units in my cars.

Holder for the console with hard wired outlet:

Nuvi mounted:

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
+1 what Dave in MD said about portable GPS
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 18 December, 2011, at 11:24:58 pm
A few months ago, I bought a Garmin which gives
-free lifetime map updates (including POI's)
-free lifetime traffic updates
-blue tooth connection for my cell phone
-allows me to plan routes using MapQuest and then download it to the Garmin (and I can share the route with other Garmin users, handy when planning a group drive.)

I've found that unless you get maps updated, too many thing get out of date. Specially when you're looking for gas stations and places to eat along a route because place change, close or move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login