Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2 Questions about my 2000 Boxster
AndyInNYC - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 9:34:49 am
I have a 2000 Boxster (base, not S). It was recently repaired following a chance encounter with a deer - the Boxster made a contribution, the deer made a commitment.

After the repair, the doors no longer lock a 5 MPH as they did. Is this a setting which can be user-set via ignition key turns or the like, or do I need to take it back to the dealer?

Secondly, I purchased a set of radio keys and the Becker AUX kit with RCA jacks so that I can attach my iPod/iPhone into the stereo. I haven't seen any pictures of this installed - do the RCA connectors just dangle away from the radio? Anyone have a picture?

Thanks for the input (radio pun intended).

Andrew
Re: 2 Questions about my 2000 Boxster
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 10:15:30 am
The auto locking doors can be programmed using a PSTII, PIWIS or Durametric unit, not by the user.
I'm not familiar with the Becker AUX Kit, but generally you have to connect the RCA plug to the radio's back panel, and generally there will also be a 12 volt (red) and a ground wire (black) to provide charging to the iPod.
Depending on the iPod/iPhone you have your charging connection will be different.
The older iPhones/iPods require a 12 volt input while the new iPhone4 needs a 5 volt input.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
db997S - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 12:10:38 pm
When I hooked up my ipod to my 2002, doing so disabled the CD changer in the trunk as that occupied the only auxillary port in the unit. The dealer can do your autolocks. Probably an indie can, too, next time you have it in the shop.
You can't have your cake, and eat it too ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 13 December, 2011, at 12:51:01 pm
... on the Becker 220 it's either the CD remote (if you have it) or the iPod unless you add a multiple input.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
bar10dah - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 9:53:09 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
The auto locking doors can be programmed using a PSTII, PIWIS or Durametric unit, not by the user

Durametric? I don't recall seeing that option anywhere in their software? Is programming the door locks only available in the professional version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 09:54PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Happened to come across this at Renntech
Laz - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 9:25:42 am
RainyDayGarage - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 7:10:00 pm
The RCA jacks just dangle. We added an inline filter ($7 from Radio Shack) for the hum.
You can make a hole in the back of one of the empty trays under the radio to pass the connectors through.
AndyInNYC - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 8:48:53 am
Anyone have a picture of the RCA jacks coming out of their head unit?

Andrew
AndyInNYC - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 9:38:26 am
Rainy,

Do you have a picture or part number - Radio Shack's webiste has nothing for inline/radio filters and my local RS guys understand how to sell cellphones. This is just a small RCA in/RCA out (male one end and female other end) component, right?

As a rant, RS used to have all sorts of oddball components that, when you needed one, you needed it badly. Now, anything more offbeat than a push on connector for RG6 cable (and who wants a push on connector) and it's way outside their ability to stock and sell.

Andrew
Kimo - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 10:55:27 am
Aloha,
An option: below link is my old DYI post from PPBB that deleted the CD changer and added my iPod. I just used the existing CD RCA cables instead of buying a new one, but did have to buy an in line 12-volt power and tapped a couple of wires. I deleted the CD changer to save weight, since I didn't plan on using CDs anymore.

iPod AUX using spare pwr and delete your CD changer

Although the photos don't show the RS filter, I did add it to eliminate the humming noise.
Search for this: RADIO SHACK DELUXE NOISE FILTER 270-051B.

Vroom-a-grin,
Kimo
dghii - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 11:23:18 am
I have the aux kit for my radio on my 2000S. It is simple to install and yes, the RCA jacks just 'dangle' in the back, allowing you to route the cables as you wish.

I did not connect the charging circuit as my itouch will run 10 hours and my shuffle 18 hours between charges, much longer than I care to drive at one time. You can alway charge for a bit from your lighter if needed. Without the charging circuit, you will have no hum and do not need the inline filter from the shack. The filter is no big deal, but you have to find a place to stash it.

On my setup, I connected the dangling RCA jacks to a cable that connects to a female mini jack that I mounted in the console batwing.

The whole thing is very simple. Just pull your radio, connect your aux kit, route your cable and listen to your tunes!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login