Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
MAF, Codes, Sensor, Plugs and "I'm back"
kentv1 - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 12:07:20 am
It's been awhile, but I'm back. Immaculate '00 Boxster S, ASGG. What a great sportcar!

Four easy questions for you experts out there:

a) Can I buy a cheap Code reader from Auto Zone, and where do I learn about the meaning of the Codes?

b) If my CEL is on again--happens once a year--how do I access and check the MAF and Oxygen Sensors? There was once a great post here on all that.

c) Can I easily change the plugs or will that be a major undertaking? I remember another post on that, too, but had trouble finding it.

d) How do I access and change my "air filter," or is there more than one?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to another Boxster run up the NW River Valleys!

PS My AOS is only a year old. That seems OK.
Re: MAF, Codes, Sensor, Plugs and "I'm back"
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 10:03:09 am
kentv1
a) Can I buy a cheap Code reader from Auto Zone, and where do I learn about the meaning of the Codes?

b) If my CEL is on again--happens once a year--how do I access and check the MAF and Oxygen Sensors? There was once a great post here on all that.

c) Can I easily change the plugs or will that be a major undertaking? I remember another post on that, too, but had trouble finding it.

d) How do I access and change my "air filter," or is there more than one?

Answers:
a) You can buy an inexpensive OBDII Code Reader at just about any auto parts store. I recommend the Actron brand. They have several models, but one around $100 is up to the job. This one will tell you what the code is, not just the code number.

b) First, find out why the CEL is on. Don't assume it's the MAF, O2 sensors or other system.

c) Spark plugs need hanging every 60,000 miles on your car. Here are the instructions: [pedrosgarage.com]

d) There are two air filters. One is the cabin filter located under the front trunk lid, next to the battery on the passenger side. The engine's air filter is inside the engine bay. Here are the instructions on how to get to the engine: [pedrosgarage.com]
The engine filter can be seen on the last photo in the previous instructions. It's the black box on the bottom edge of the photo. To open push out the two metal clips and pull the cover back. This cover is actually the filter carrier.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
kentv1 - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 1:30:46 pm
Great, very helpful. About the Codes, will the code reader device actually then state if an O2 sensor or MAF is bad, or will it merely indicate that was where the "fault" occurred?

At what point do you know it's not guesswork?

BTW, I was on PPBB back between '01 and '09. Are all of the same archives available on this site?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 2:59:58 pm
The Code reader is that, a reader.
The person using it has to be able to determine based on the symptoms and the data the reader gives whether a particular part is bad or not.
You know it's not guesswork when you have enough knowledge and experience.
If you need to access the PPBB Archives, click here: [www.ppbb.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

kentv1 - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 3:08:34 pm
Hmmm, I'm getting different plug numbers from different suppliers. Is FGR 6KQC correct for 2000 Boxster S, and does the plug have four prongs or just two. The photo has some glare.

Thanks again.
The Porsche recommended plugs are...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 3:21:41 pm
for the 2.5L engine:

NGK BKR 6EK
Bosch FR7 LDC4

for the 2.7 and 3.2L engines:

Bosch FGR 6KQC
Bosch FGR 7KQC
Beru 14 FGR 6KQU
Beru 14 FGR 7KQU

The FGR 6KQC is correct for a 2000 Boxster S.
It is a two-pronged plug.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: The Porsche recommended plugs are...
kentv1 - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 9:12:28 pm
Great! I'm off to buy the parts, and I'll report how I do.
on your car but it's been many years since they were changed?
Naples996
on your car but it's been many years since they were changed?

as well as miles, at least initially. For instance Porsche might schedule plug changes at 4 years, 48K miles, but sometimes changes its mind and releases a TSB that modifies this. The TSB of course isn't sent to the owner but the dealer and its service department is informed.

When I took a new (used but new to me) car to have its plugs changed because based on the car's owners manual they were due (past due) on time while the car didn't have nearly enough miles to warrant plug replacement the service techs told me that Porsche had modified the change interval. I went ahead and had the plugs changed just for my peace of mind.

But if you're sure the plugs in the car were properly installed you do not have to replace them on time alone, unless and this is always the key, unless Porsche requires or strongly advises it. Porsche is the ultimate source of when things should be serviced. If Porsche says it is ok to leave the plugs in for 4, 5, 6 or more years, as long as the miles are below the threshold that triggers a replacement due to miles, that's good enough for me. (I might add given the number of miles I cover plugs will always be changed in 4 years or less.)

However, if you're unsure of the car's previous service history, and if the plugs were changed at least once before, there's a slight risk the plugs were not installed properly and the threads could develop corrosion that when you do change the plugs removing them could damage the threads in the head. Not trying to scare you, but just pointing out that Porsche service intervals are based on the assumption the previous service was done correctly.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thank you MarcW *NM*
Naples986 - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 11:20:15 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login