Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Thinking about selling my '98 non-S.
worldwide4 - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 8:03:07 pm
I want to buy a 987, but what is the best year to buy?

Thanks.
Generally ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 14 December, 2011, at 10:19:38 pm
... the best year is the newest one available.
By the same token stay away from the first model year.
BTW. all '98s are non S.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Generally ....
longislander1 - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 1:43:42 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
By the same token stay away from the first model year.

Pedro, you probably see a lot of cars in your shop, so I'm curious as to why you would tell the poster to avoid the first year of the 987s, which is, of course, the '05. What are the reasons this year is to be avoided? Is it just IMS failure or are there other mechanical issues that affected these cars? If it's just IMS, you noted on the Facebook page covering Boxster engine failures that you thought the incidence of IMS failures was "much lower" than the 9% mentioned by another poster. If it's so low, why would that be a reason for a buyer not to consider an '05?

I'm sure that all of us who own '05s would find the information helpful so that we know what we might be up against when we try to sell. If experts like you are waving people away from our cars, it can't be good for resale prospects. Thanks.
The reason is simple ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 5:59:24 pm
... the first production run of a new model will have issues and quirks that the factory corrects in subsequent runs.
By the same token, the last run will have most issues resolved and in Porsche's case will have more power than the first run.

I believe that the IMS bearing failures is about 5% in early 986s and diminishing as model years advance to less than 0.5% in the gen2.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: The reason is simple ...
longislander1 - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 7:07:45 pm
Specifically, what issues and quirks are you aware of that would cause you not to recommend an '05 to a buyer? I haven't read of anything other than IMS failures or the usual TSBs that you can find for just about any year.
I have nothing against an '05...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 December, 2011, at 8:58:58 am
... I'm making a recommendation not to buy a first of as I don't recommend to buy a '97 or an '09.
If you look at those year's TSBs you'll see how much gets corrected.
But if you have an '05 be happy. It's a great car! Make sure you take it in to have the TSBs done.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: Generally ....
Nashhorn - Tuesday, 20 December, 2011, at 10:41:27 am
All I can say is my 05 S for the short two years I had it before that 'fool' pulled in front of me, was fabulous. Loved every minute behind the wheel - well except for that millisecond when the air bags deployed. Insurance company actually gave me more than I paid for it back in Dec 2009.
Loved that car - hope to replace it with 09 or newer version to get the ventilated seats. Wife wants me to convert to a 911 but the Box to me is more fun to drive. Regardless will take me several months to save up enough $ to where I feel good about the splurge - have to use the insurance dollars now to replace her 10 year old Rx 300, and she won't look at anything but a new Rx.
But isn't the
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 20 December, 2011, at 12:11:57 pm
'05 Boxster the one year the 987 had the don't-have-to-split-the-case IMS and so isn't it especially desirably for that (presuming it has the original engine)?

Yes with every year there are changes/improvements but you pay more for them and sometimes those improvements aren't improvements given enough time for an accurate assessment.
+1
MikenOH - Tuesday, 20 December, 2011, at 4:06:19 pm
On 05's, it seems like--from the stories I've heard--you may or may not get the improved IMS setup depending on when the car was made.
The older style might not be as robust, it will cost you a lot less to replace--that's good news.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 05:46PM by Jeff (Philly). (view changes)
Jeff:
I think you may have posted this earlier, but what are the biggest differences between the 2 cars?
Differences noted bewtween my 2008 and my 2012 Boxsters
Jeff (Philly) - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 11:53:07 am
The link to my September post is here Just bought my seventh Porsche and my fourth Boxster. Traded my 2008 for a 2012.
I have included the text I wrote on the differences bewtween my 2008 and my 2012 as I saw them below. I have had an issue with the CDR-30 cell phone capability for calling contacts that I have now resolved with the help of a post on Planet 9, but I will do a separate post on that. Also I am now used to the fact that the car holds the brakes on for you momentarily when starting to move on an incline and have decided that is a valuable feature. I can report that I am getting a lot of good compliments on the color.

987 Generation II, 2009-2012

The 2012 has noticeably more pep. Displacement increased from 2.7 to 2.9 liters for Gen II, increasing power from 245 hp (183 kW) to 255 hp (190 kW).

The manual transmission is six speed and reverse is now forward to the left instead of back to the right which is a little hard to get used to.

The front now has a scoop like the Boxster S. I was able to keep my sport exhaust tip from the previous car so now the only visible difference between my car and an S is the red brake calipers.

It has LED Brake lights.

The car is much quieter with the top up, the window sticker says it has a 3 layer top. I am not sure if that has anything to with it.

It interfaces with my Bluetooth smart phone and has buttons to answer and hang up the phone on the CDR-30 console

An annoying feature that I need to get used to is when moving from a standing position on an incline, the car holds its position for a couple of seconds to allow time to get your foot from the brake to the gas pedal. If anyone knows if this can be disabled I would like to hear about it

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 12:07PM by Jeff (Philly). (view changes)
Re: Thinking about selling my '98 non-S.
worldwide4 - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 7:21:41 pm
Did the 987 change in 2009?

I'm wondering about small changes between the years?

Is it worth getting an older S vs. a newer non-S?

Thanks.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 10:21:00 pm
Mike Focke has put together a nice year by year change summary:

Mike Focke's Site
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 8:47:29 am
worldwide4
Did the 987 change in 2009?

I'm wondering about small changes between the years?

Is it worth getting an older S vs. a newer non-S?

Thanks.

One of the most signifcant changes (in my opinion) in 09 was redesign of the engine to eliminate the IMS. To avoid the "new" engine and other changes that year, I'd say a 2010, 2011 or one of the few 2012's would be your best bet if you can afford it.

In terms of the difference between an S and non S, I'd say you have to drive the two and compare and decide what YOU like best depending on the type of driving that you do.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
is a good suggestion.

I also like the advice to avoid the 1st MY if you can. I would add that generally the best buys are the last of a model's run. For instance, say the 987 MYs you're considering started in 2005 and ran to 2008. The best of these years would be the 2008 model.

While Porsche makes public some of its changes, improvements, like HP bumps and such every new model year, privately Porsche makes improvements to the model line all through the model run as it gains feed back from vehicles in use and feedback from its dealer network.

While these changes are not major they do over time make for a more mature car, one that is sorted out more so than the earlier years.

Personally, were I to buy another Porsche my preference would be for an 'S' model, and one with the new DFI engine, and a PDK transmission, and if I could find one a car with PCCBs.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
longislander1 - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 12:03:34 pm
Boy, how times have changed. I can remember getting flamed regularly on here and on PPBB when I said that, based on owner reports from various forums, it appeared that there was a significant problem with IMS in Boxsters, including the Gen I 987s. It sure is interesting that, except for one very mild suggestion about an '08, no one has recommended a Gen I 987 to this guy. Why not? The naysayers and Kool-Aid drinkers all insisted that the IMS problem was miniscule and that Porsche could no no wrong. Now, people are essentially telling the original poster to stay a million miles away from the '05-'07 models, even though they seem to offer pretty good value right now. Guess I was (am) right after all.
Am I missing something here?
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 12:55:59 pm
longislander1
Boy, how times have changed. I can remember getting flamed regularly on here and on PPBB when I said that, based on owner reports from various forums, it appeared that there was a significant problem with IMS in Boxsters, including the Gen I 987s. It sure is interesting that, except for one very mild suggestion about an '08, no one has recommended a Gen I 987 to this guy. Why not? The naysayers and Kool-Aid drinkers all insisted that the IMS problem was miniscule and that Porsche could no no wrong. Now, people are essentially telling the original poster to stay a million miles away from the '05-'07 models, even though they seem to offer pretty good value right now. Guess I was (am) right after all.

Which poster(s) are telling the original poster to stay a million miles away from the '05 - '07 models? I can't seem to find that (those) post(s).

Essentially, people are saying buy the newest model that you can afford. I think that's sound advice for most used car purchases. I can't find any posts (exept yours) where anyone is saying to stay away from any particular model year(s).
Re: Am I missing something here?
longislander1 - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 1:34:17 pm
Well, maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. All I know is that I'm seeing Pedro telling the OP to stay away from the '05, I'm reading kind of a tepid recommendation for the '08 and not the earlier Gen I years, and I'm seeing endorsements for the Gen II cars, with (lo and behold) IMS failures cited as a reason to stick with the newer cars. That seems to be about it.

Curiously, though, you're also suggesting he stay away from the '09. If Porsche engineering is that good and the chance of a defect so low or non-existent, why wouldn't you recommend he buy one from that year?
Re: Am I missing something here?
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 19 December, 2011, at 2:19:30 pm
longislander1
Well, maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. All I know is that I'm seeing Pedro telling the OP to stay away from the '05, I'm reading kind of a tepid recommendation for the '08 and not the earlier Gen I years, and I'm seeing endorsements for the Gen II cars, with (lo and behold) IMS failures cited as a reason to stick with the newer cars. That seems to be about it.

Curiously, though, you're also suggesting he stay away from the '09. If Porsche engineering is that good and the chance of a defect so low or non-existent, why wouldn't you recommend he buy one from that year?

It has always been my opinion to stay away from the first year of ANY new model (one that is significantly changed from its predecessors) car of any make. It usually takes use out in the real world by a large variety of users for some design faults to show up. By the second year, the manufacturer has a chance to address these things. By the time you get to the last year of a particular model, there have been a lot of changes and improvements made and you're likely going to have the best version possible.

If I were in the market for a new Boxster in the next year, my first choice would be a new 2012 (the last of the 987's) just because there's more chance that potential problems have surfaced and Porsche has had a chance to address them.

FWIW. I have an '06 with 54K miles and have no desire to get rid of it. I love the car as much now as did when I bought it.
Longislander...
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 20 December, 2011, at 10:02:53 am
You need to just chill and stop reading all the negative stuff about IMS, and just enjoy your car. You haven't experienced any engine related problems yet on your beautiful seal grey 987 S, right? So, just enjoy it and relax. If the whole engine thing gets to your mind too much, then I suggest you offload the car and be done with it. There's plenty of people that would love your car and use it as it was intended. Cheers.
... I have made a blanket statement that the first run of a particular model is not the most desirable in any automotive brand.
Please don't misquote what I've said.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login