Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
More 2013 Boxster pictures
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 8:05:43 pm
These still have quite a bit of camouflage, but it shows the back a bit better with the spoiler up. Looks like maybe there's one central backup light under the spoiler.

I know a picture is worth 1K words. So there are about 20K words + some text. smiling smiley

Just a few more things in the text for those who might have trouble translating.
-the wheelbase grows by about 6 cm ~ 2.25"
-body grows by about 3 cm ~ 1.1"
-engines stay the same as now, but about another 10 horses added in each
-2.5 L turbo to be added at a later date
-introduction at the Geneva Auto Show in March and available at dealers shortly after

Click on the picture for a larger view and click through the slides.

[www.auto-motor-und-sport.de]
Re: More 2013 Boxster pictures
Sandbox - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 8:34:29 pm
Guenter.....Thanks very much! Best photos I have seen to date....and while I like it alot, my 987S is still looking pretty good to me!!!!! Bob
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 9:51:48 pm
I agree about the 987. It's one beautiful car. They should have kept the 987 mirrors or something like them, instead of putting the plain jane mirros on such a beautiful car.

Not crazy about the spoiler line extending across the tail lights. It just seems to take away from the smooth, sexy lines.

There were actually some better pictures posted a couple of months ago. They just didn't show the spoiler extended. Just static shots.

Click on the first picture and choose the large size. These pictures don't seem to have any camouflage on them.

[www.autoblog.com]
Thanks Guenter
Roger987 - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 9:43:13 pm
I like it a lot. Shame about the side mirrors, though.

While the air intake is a significant change, the overall look remains consistent with the Boxster identity.
Re: Thanks Guenter
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 10:00:14 pm
Roger987
I like it a lot. Shame about the side mirrors, though.

While the air intake is a significant change, the overall look remains consistent with the Boxster identity.

....sigh, yes, those Honda civic mirrors. sad smiley

I wonder if the 981 will have the option of ordering the tail light spoilerette (or whatever they're called) delete to smooth out the lines around the sexy hips. I do like the new spoiler itself though.

You're right though, it's still unmistakably a Boxster.
I like the spoiler
Roger987 - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 12:20:05 pm
When deployed, the spoiler on my 987 looks like an industrial afterthought.

These photos suggest a more elegant effort than the earlier photos showing the spoilier bisecting the tailight. That was awful.
Re: I like the spoiler
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 12:38:51 pm
Roger987
When deployed, the spoiler on my 987 looks like an industrial afterthought.

These photos suggest a more elegant effort than the earlier photos showing the spoilier bisecting the tailight. That was awful.

I think those tailights still have the spoiler when you look carefully at the pictures. That "blade" or built in spoiler is just covered up by the large size camouflaging. It's easiest to tell in pictures #5 and 8. Maybe you can just sand it off. grinning smiley
I remember my 1968 Chrysler 300 backup lights - they were like mini-headlights and did a good job of lighting up whatever was behind me.
The spoiler seems better integrated
Laz - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 10:29:03 pm
than how it looked in the earlier shots taken on the rock-sided road. The more pronounced splitting of the taillights was too much of a distraction and too "Flash Gordon." Concerning the door panel mounted side mirrors, while they don't visually integrate as well, I think it's to present a clearer driver's line-of-sight through what the designers and engineers consider as more critical.
Re: The spoiler seems better integrated
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 15 December, 2011, at 11:23:55 pm
Laz
than how it looked in the earlier shots taken on the rock-sided road. The more pronounced splitting of the taillights was too much of a distraction and too "Flash Gordon." Concerning the door panel mounted side mirrors, while they don't visually integrate as well, I think it's to present a clearer driver's line-of-sight through what the designers and engineers consider as more critical.

I think the spoiler is the same. It's just that the tail light in these pictures still have camouflaging, making them look bigger so you don't notice the "Flash Gordon" styling as much.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if the line of sight is any better with the new mirrors. I've never had a problem seeing what was behind or coming up beside me with my 987 mirrors.
(I'm not near the Boxster right now to check, though.)
Laz
(I'm not near the Boxster right now to check, though.)

...well the CURVEN8R is all covered and snoozing, so I can't go out and check. But I don't think my mirrors would even hide a Smart that would be forward to my left or right for that matter.

Personally, I just think the monopod mirrors are cheaper to produce than the bipods. They just look plain. OK for a plain car. I just think a sports car like the Boxster deserves better.

Took these at a car show this Spring.

Here's a mirror stuck on a sports car.

Here's an extension of a sports car that serves as a mirror.

OK, so they look fine on a Fairlady. grinning smiley

British used to do it too.

You'd almost need binoculars to see more than an outline of traffic behind you.
db997S - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 8:37:38 am
The whimpy little spoiler and it's mechanism reminds me of the Chrysler Crossfire's flimsy looking spoiler. The Boxster's looks like it may get blown off at top speed.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 11:56:51 am
I second the Crossfire comment. I came up behind one recently and I thought they were hauling a ladder, then I realized it was the spoiler. It looks more like a garage door.

Too ad hoc/industrial. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 3:34:55 pm
Re: And now we have next-gen Boxster pics from Ann Arbor...
jwdbox - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 5:55:06 pm
It seems like those are pictures of an earlier mule. The side is very similar to the existing vents and sheet metal as compared to those in the Auto Motor Und Sport shots. cool smiley
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 6:14:13 pm
This may be a new addition, but now there is a video of winter testing the new Boxster on the Auto-motor-und-sport site. Those who have looked at it earlier might comment if it has been improved.
newt - Friday, 16 December, 2011, at 11:34:58 pm
It looks like the headlamps are entirely different . There appears to be a camaflauge sticker over the headlamp area but he light seems different. Am I seeing this right?.
silverbox03 - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 3:25:21 pm
I think the new mirror mounts are intended to reduce wind noise at speed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login