Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Sold my chassis....
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 9:52:37 am
Just sold my chassis to a dismantler for $3,000. I emailed them a description and pictures, then talked to them on the phone. Apparently, they pretty much pay a flat fee for these cars. He said he was buying about one a day with blown engines... maybe he was exaggerating or just a recent phenomenon, but that is what he said. I called around to some speed shops and Porsche indys and the most they offered to me was $1,500.00.

So.... I will be selling my ocean blue rims and new tires separately (I put my silver rims and snows on the car... dismantler said that was fine). My hardtop is up on eBay and Craig's list right now.

For those who don't know, my 2nd engine blew in my 2000S at 197K miles on the chassis. The first blew at 47K miles, replaced under warranty, and the 2nd got 150K miles out of it.

Depressing. I am in kind of an angry mood right now..... Each indy and the dismanlter all made similar comments about these engines..... "why there is no class action suite....." etc. etc. These guys see the carnage.

So, driving my elderly mother's champagne gold, 4 cylinder Camry until I find another. The Camry is a pretty solid car.... brakes are a bit scary, so I really have to adapt.

Peace
Bruce
Please keep posting
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 10:11:17 am
I'm very interested in what you find in your search for a 2009 to 20012 Boxster. I'm keeping an eye on the market. I'm a "lurker" here and don't post much. My general impression is that most cars in this range are being sold by dealers. I've noticed a substantial price drop on Autotrader in the last few months.
Re: Sold my chassis....
db997S - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 10:24:29 am
That's why I sold my '02S in '09 to get an engine without the IMS (also bottom fed as it was the depths of the auto slump). Added plus, since I got a 997S, it comes with DFI. Think that didn't appear in the 987 until 2010, if I'm not mistaken.
MikenOH - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 1:13:37 pm
You're making progress, Bruce. Once the rolling chassis is gone , you'll be ready for the replacement.

I'd agree with the 09 and up variants.
FWIW, it seems like there are a lot of base cars out there of these years with manuals.
They will have the 2.9L motor and 255HP--pretty close HP/TQ to what your old car had along with the S brakes and suspension. No DFI, but no IMS and a lot less $.
I think driving the base 987.2 back to back with a 986S would make for an interesting comparison.

My dealer has this on their website; listed at $39.9K on Cars.com:
[beachwood.porschedealer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 01:35PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
At the expense of beating this to death,,
MikenOH - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 2:36:40 pm
A review of the base 987.2:
[www.excellence-mag.com]
hoppy44 - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 7:43:30 pm
Bruce... thanks for the continual updates. I know it's not fun given the situation, but it really helps the community here and I'm sure is appreciated.

And yes, my parents have a pretty old Camry as well, so when I go from my Boxster to that when visiting, it's quite the adjustment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login