Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
1999 Boxster 986 window replacement
pauleyemd - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 3:21:16 pm
Hi Group,

Wonder if there is a place in the Cleveland area that can replace just the plastic window in a '99 Boxster. If I must replace the top, is the group's experience more toward another plastic window or the glass? I understand that there are pluses and minuses to each.

Thank you. Paul
I went with the glass
bar10dah - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 4:25:46 pm
My plastic window broke when I was opening the top on a 60-ish degree F day. A local top install shop told me most manufacturers do not recommend opening the top when the temps are below 68 degrees.

The glass top didn't cost much more. Since I like driving with the top down, even when it's 50 degrees out, I figure I'd just get the glass top so I won't have to worry about breaking another plastic window.

The glass is definitely smaller than the plastic window. However, I haven't noticed any decrease in rearward vision through the rearview mirror. At least, not left and right. In fact, you can't even see the side edges of the glass window when looking into the rearview mirror. The vertical visibility is reduced, but it does not hinder seeing a car that's behind you. The field of view up and down in the plastic window is much more than I needed anyways, so having the smaller view out the glass window isn't a problem at all.

If I remember, I'll snap some pics of the view from my rearview mirror.

I actually did the install myself. The local, and only that I could find, shop was two weeks backlogged and not taking any additional appointments for those two weeks. So I was probably looking at over a month wait to get my top installed. Not wanting to wait, I used the 101projects book, read up on some other's experiences online, and did the install in about 6.5 hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 04:27PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Re: 1999 Boxster 986 window replacement
Al in Melbourne Beach - Saturday, 17 December, 2011, at 6:20:01 pm
I have a 2002. Almost a year ago I bought a 2003 top from a junkyard for $800 shipped and put it on myself with a lot of help from Maurice and his writeups. Best thing I ever did to the car. The visibility out of the four-bow factory glass window top is not (imo) substantially less than the original top. I did not like the appearance or the visibility of the GAHH replacement top that fits on the original three bow top. It is, I believe, slightly harder on a 1999 because of differences in the motor and motor limit switches. Find and review Maurice's writeup. But I highly recommend the change..

Al
MN 986 - Sunday, 18 December, 2011, at 7:27:19 pm
+1 on the 03/04 OEM top if you can find one for a good price. I found an 04 top this Spring and put it on my 02, and it is one of my favorite changes so far. I paid $900 for the top/frame and sold my old one for about $600, so it cost me less than having a new plastic window sewn in.
boxsterd - Sunday, 18 December, 2011, at 11:28:02 pm
Are you saying the 03/04 OEM top with the glass window will fit a 99? How about an 01 like what I have? I've been thinking about replacing the top but I thought my only option for a glass window was GAHH.
has been detailed by Maurice here. There are also discussions with pictures of just replacing the window, installing a top, etc. in the same section of the site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login