Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Happy Holidays-

I had my winter tires switched last week and- once again this year- I am surprised by how much quieter the car is and how much more supple the ride is with the winter tires. Granted, they don't stick like the summer tires do in the warm weather, but it's a welcome trade-off due to some long distance (800 mile+) trips I will be doing over the holidays.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my summer OEM Bridgestone tires. They offer great traction and have at least 20K on them with another 7-10K left (according to the dealer who switched them out). I should add that the car is frequently driven as intended when conditions allow. In any event, I wonder if the Bridgestones are a "loud" tire compared to other summer tire options. Any thoughts?

Thanks Gang. Happy Holidays.

Current: 2009 Boxster with 18s
Past: 2003 Boxster with 17s
AS2003
Happy Holidays-

I had my winter tires switched last week and- once again this year- I am surprised by how much quieter the car is and how much more supple the ride is with the winter tires. Granted, they don't stick like the summer tires do in the warm weather, but it's a welcome trade-off due to some long distance (800 mile+) trips I will be doing over the holidays.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my summer OEM Bridgestone tires. They offer great traction and have at least 20K on them with another 7-10K left (according to the dealer who switched them out). I should add that the car is frequently driven as intended when conditions allow. In any event, I wonder if the Bridgestones are a "loud" tire compared to other summer tire options. Any thoughts?

Thanks Gang. Happy Holidays.

Current: 2009 Boxster with 18s
Past: 2003 Boxster with 17s

estimate of the miles) and the Bridgestone tires do not appear to be the noisiest tire as they wear/age.

The rear tires have been replaced once, at around 24K miles, while the fronts are 'original'.

Now the car did develop a noise this last road trip and I thought it was a wheel bearing but I had the car looked at at the Oklahoma City Porsche dealer and the shop foreman who test drove the car reported the noise was not due to a wheel bearing, but to the front tires.

The word I got is the front tires are feathering/cupping a bit on their inner edges due to a slight mis-alignment. The car steers fine, feels fine going down the road so the alignment's not horrifically out. I asked about an alignment and was told the alignment is not bad enough to justify the cost and it would be ok to let the alignment go until new tires are needed and then of course have the car aligned. I drove the car back from OKC and lived with the noise but I'm thinking of when I take the car in in the next couple of days to have the oil/filter done having the alignment put right to quiet the tires down. I find the noise irritating.

My point is that if you keep the car aligned the tires should be as quiet as they can be and based on my experience they'll be pretty quiet. About the only other tires that I have found to be quieter (though I've not run these tires on the 996 yet) are Michelin tires. I have run Michelin tires on the Boxster now for years and even worn out they are pretty quiet tires.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Tire pressure too high or low? *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 2:22:26 pm
Tire pressure is spot on the money. I'm pretty...
MarcW - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 3:42:39 pm
anal about my car tire pressure among other things. Just had the car in for a roadworthiness inspection/check out before I left on the 9th of Dec. and the tech double-checked the tire pressures.

It is the alignment: After the service manager told me what the shop foreman said I went to the car and I felt the front tires and felt the feathering/light cupping with my hands. Felt the rear tire tread faces too. Rear tire tread faces had no signs of any feathering or cupping.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login