Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ok, one negative about the new steering...
Laz - Thursday, 17 January, 2013, at 10:42:42 am
... wheel that is: It's difficult to hit the horn just right for a friendly toot greeting, or nonaggressive heads up to another driver or pedestrian. The cause appears to be a combination of the force required to depress the horn button along with the lesser leverage from its not having extensions outward toward the rim, a la the 986's. I've gotten a bit better at nuancing the horn, which could be my own motor control and the horn mechanism "breaking in." (The window switches feel less stiff, too.)
As far as the e-steering itself, the "μ split torque recommendation" has the effect of pretty much eliminating front end wander during heavy braking. Straight line stability at speed is also improved over my former 986, although this can be due to a combination of factors such as the wider front track, different geometry, suspension parts specifications, tires, et c.
Re: Ok, one negative about the new steering...
Bobtesa - Thursday, 17 January, 2013, at 3:08:44 pm
Ditto. I was, still am, disappointed with the horn in my 08 which seems to have a similar design. With both hands on the wheel, it requires one hand to move from the perimeter to the center rather than just pressing a thumb. Worse if your hand has to move from the shifter to the horn. When first driving the car 4 years ago I was sure the horn worked with the chrome extensions where my thumb could work it. Nope. Disappointed in the design.
You have the sport wheel or the multi function wheel? *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 17 January, 2013, at 5:20:24 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sport wheel (not SportDesign,) not Multifunction. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 17 January, 2013, at 5:37:28 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 05:42PM by Laz. (view changes)
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Thursday, 17 January, 2013, at 3:13:04 pm
It's the same with my '09S: difficult to toot anyone.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Not sure if people are afraid they'll get charged with warning about radar or maybe just not into flashing lights.
I have found the same thing - waving is more effective than a flash. And I also think this is due to owners unknowledgable about historic customs.

I'm not sure how this relates, but it does somehow to Porsche putting "Porsche" on the rear of every model. I don't have a problem with Porsche making SUVs, sedans, etc., as long at it keeps the company in business and they keep making cars that I want to drive. I am pretty sure that Porsche put "Porsche" on rear lids at some time in the past, but for many years it didn't. It didn't have to because anyone who knew anything about cars knew which cars were Porsches. Now, for branding, Porsche has to put their name on the rear lid to help the unfamiliar with the new lines of Porsche vehicles.

My 1999 was with "logo" delete. My 08 was off the lot, but I learned here how easy it is to take the logo off (I keep it to re-apply for resale). If some one does not know what kind of car I am driving, then they probably don't care. I, and probably everyone on this board, can ID a Porsche SUV, Panamera, bmw, Benz, S2000, and many other models and makes in profile, in the rear view mirror, and without reading the name of the car. As Porsche becomes more popular, it attracts more non-autophiles who will not know what a flash means, but will understand a wave.
There's more than one side to the logo with/without. Personally, I don't see any reason to delete "Boxster". I've had people come up to me, telling me they think it's a gorgeous looking car and wanting to know what kind it is. Nothing wrong with that. In fact I think it's the best kind of compliment. They just think it's beautiful, whatever kind of car it is. Not everyone is an autophile, but they can still appreciate a beautiful car when they see one.
Model delete
Laz - Friday, 18 January, 2013, at 4:25:16 pm
Mine has no model name because I thought it made the tail too busy; a bit crowded with script. Maybe if the spoiler wasn't such a prominent element it could've worked. Having just "Porsche" in the all cap block letters seems to preserve the linearity and symmetry,* too. It would've been somewhat cool to advertise the model, and being an S in particular, but I figure the car's aesthetically impressive enough. For what it's worth, a knowledgeable person will know it's a Boxster, and with the twin tailpipes, an S. Most importantly, I know what it is.

*The dealer wanted to put the front plate off to the side, but that would've really messed up the symmetry, even though the plate doesn't look so hot centered on the nose.
Re: Model delete
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 18 January, 2013, at 4:41:09 pm
Laz
Mine has no model name because I thought it made the tail too busy; a bit crowded with script. Maybe if the spoiler wasn't such a prominent element it could've worked. Having just "Porsche" in the all cap block letters seems to preserve the linearity and symmetry,* too. It would've been somewhat cool to advertise the model, and being an S in particular, but I figure the car's aesthetically impressive enough. For what it's worth, a knowledgeable person will know it's a Boxster, and with the twin tailpipes, an S. Most importantly, I know what it is.

*The dealer wanted to put the front plate off to the side, but that would've really messed up the symmetry, even though the plate doesn't look so hot centered on the nose.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Have to agree with Gary.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 18 January, 2013, at 6:15:04 pm
We need some pictures with this thread. I really miss when people used to post all kinds of pictures of their Boxsters. Their just such beautiful cars.

OK, back to the model delete/non-delete topic.

I personally like the Boxster script. Some might want to keep it off because they're afraid they'll be seen as driving something less than a Neun Elf or whatever reason. To me it's THE BEST all around Porsche. For almost a quarter century, my dream car was a 911. Then the first time I saw the Boxster Concept in '93, it took my breath away. So it became my new dream car. I've always loved roadsters and the Boxster was designed as one. ...but, that's just personal preference. I got around it by keeping the Boxster Script and then just getting a Porsche licence frame. I agree that having both the script and name on the trunk makes the back look rather busy. Even with a new one, I might be inclined to leave the Boxster script on and then delete the PORSCHE and add the frame similar to what I have now..

Re
Laz - Friday, 18 January, 2013, at 9:11:04 pm
Please note the original post is about the horn functionality, not its aesthetic quality. There are many pictures easily available on the net to illustrate pretty much everything about these cars, including the interiors. Porsche's 3D configurator can demonstrate the model delete option. As far as my vehicle, a search of this board will reveal several images already posted. Additional pictures might be shot and posted if they are unique, or at least extraordinary; or when they are both germane and informative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 09:11PM by Laz. (view changes)
Excellence Is Expected. *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 19 January, 2013, at 4:12:18 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 19 January, 2013, at 1:24:07 pm

I have found the same thing - waving is more effective than a flash. And I also think this is due to owners unknowledgable about historic customs.

Yes. Flashing your lights is way too confusing to other drivers. It can mean, 'Hello". But it can also mean, 'Police ahead', 'accident ahead', or 'be careful as you are approaching something nasty'. Waving is always friendlier and never confusing.

I always wave since I drive a convertible AND the top is ALWAYS down (unless the weather gets to be <45F). the finger smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: A Pic: Pedro & Some of Us at the 2012 BRBS
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 19 January, 2013, at 1:45:20 pm

Re: A Porsche Pic
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 19 January, 2013, at 2:03:22 pm

If some one does not know what kind of car I am driving, then they probably don't care.

I have a different opinion. Many people, especially the young (<40) like a nice car and are interested in seeing Porsches because of their cache. But since they don't own one, their interest is superficial and knowledge of what the various models are is absent. Porsches are rare birds in my area, even though there were at one time four dealerships within a twenty-five mile radius of my house. I seldom see another Porsche except on the weekends.

I have had several people ask me what make my car was, as the only things that say 'Porsche' are the small crests on the hood and wheel caps. I added the name to my windscreen as 'Boxster' is vague.

I also added a Porsche Permagrin to my spoiler.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 02:06PM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login