Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Lucky break that the problem happened just two miles from a porsche dealer!
Would appreciate any comments/experiences with that particular dealer.
That area has a high number of one-percenters per capita, so if the work isn't good, the customer service aspect should atleast be fantastic.
You called it....the customer service was incredible. The car was fixed in a day and was spotless when we picked it up.
I think that's where Gundo bought his 997s. I've visited the dealer during a TSBL run, but have never serviced my Boxster there. The people there seemed nice enough, but I'm sure the service cost won't be cheap. Good luck.
Definitely was not inexpensive, but when you are 200 miles from home...getting it fixed right by someone trust-worthy is primary. Just happy that we were able to drop it off at a Porsche dealer instead of some random garage :-)

Also glad that we didn't have to wait 3 hours for a tow truck to show up...all in all, with the exception of the pump failing, EVERY other thing (when we decided to pull over, where we ended up, etc...) worked out about as best as we could have hoped.
Re: Coolant leak on the way back to Boston...update.
RainyDayGarage - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 10:29:43 am
Fantastic service from Fairfield Porsche...they got the car on Tues, did the work on Wed, and we picked it up Thursday AM.
Took a 6:30 AM Amtrak from Boston to Conn and was on the road back to Boston by 9:30...

The service person (Dianne Bodge) was extremely professional, amazingly accommodating, and very helpful. We can see if we were a long time customer that a service manager would go the extra mile on during the Holidays, but she don't know us from Adam. Even though they were short-staffed due to the Holidays, they turned it around quickly...a clear indication that "service" is something they take seriously there.

If we had to breakdown, we are truly thankful that we broke down 3 miles from Fairfield Porsche.

We have had pretty bad luck with the water pumps as we are now on the forth one. The first one failed after 6yrs, the second one after 4, and this last one after just 1 year. The pumps were genuine Porsche parts as they came from a Porsche dealer. We got the old pump back and is now on its way to parts manager at Prime Porsche in Boston to see why it failed (seized up) after only one year.

BTW...anyone know why a seized pump would leak coolant? Would have thought that it would have over-heated instead of dumping coolant?
seized after a year?
Steve (Morro Bay) - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 12:11:27 pm
That sounds odd. I'm curious because I also just replaced my water pump. Mine, after 90k miles over about 8 years, started to leak at its seal. I spun the old pump by hand after it came out, and it was whisper quiet to my untrained ear, so I guess the seal is what failed. Was yours so bad that you couldn't spin it by hand? How does that happen?

Congrats on the good fortune of breaking down near a good place for repairs! Hope you got to test drive some new ones while you were there smiling smiley
Re: seized after a year?
RainyDayGarage - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 5:14:18 pm
Turning the pump by hand was very rough...no free spin at all.
I have used that dealer for all major service.
JM-Stamford,CT - Sunday, 25 December, 2011, at 11:44:10 am
In general I have nothing but good things to say.

The dealer is VERY expensive - by any standard. But Diane is terrific.
Fairfield Porsche was kind enough to save the seized water pump for us...so we brought it back to our mechanic (Al at Gerardo's on Hyde Park Ave in Boston).

Al pinged Prime Porsche's parts dept and explained that both of the pumps purchased from them (2006, 2010) had failed. Prime agreed that it was unusual and is willing to refund the dealer price on the latest pump.

Guess a few hundred bucks beats nothing any day :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login