Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The Homer J. Simpson D'oh award goes to (NPC) ...
db997S - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 1:51:31 pm
A UT truck driver who won a Lamo LP-640 and crashed it the same day: D'oh
Re: Could he be related to the driver in this video?
db997S - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 2:56:31 pm
probably his father, who happens to also be his uncle. What's the Italian equivalent to a U-boat?
Sottomarino
Laz - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 3:24:19 pm
[www.subofsubs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 03:27PM by Laz. (view changes)
This is the german version of the U-Boat Driver:

[video]http://youtu.be/-aRr7XgY2sk[/video]
there is snow in the background of the picture
frogster - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 10:59:52 pm
since there is snow in the picture of this dufus with his new lamb, i will assume that the temps are near freezing. i will also assume that the lambo has nice, wide, high-performance tires. mix those two together and add 631 horsepower. throw in a guy who has probably never driven anything better than a mid-nineties camaro and you have the perfect recipe for a crash.

how can we (society) put "joe schmoe" (read the sign in his photo) into a rocket propelled vehicle without even 5 minutes of education?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 12:19AM by Laz. (view changes)
... the article states: " ... the V-12 powered Italian supercar named for a famed Spanish fighting bull ..."
The Murcielago is named after the bat (as in the flying rat type), not a famed Spanish fighting bull (which is the Miura).
No one fact checks anymore?
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You can't believe anything that's published anymore ...
Laz - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 10:15:57 am
Yeah, I recall early articles referring to the moving side intakes that evoke a bat. However, Car and Driver recently referred to a namesake bull. For what it's worth, here's the Wiki entry concerning the car:

[en.wikipedia.org]

There's also a related entry concerning the bull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 10:19AM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: You can't believe anything that's published anymore ...
db997S - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 11:46:01 am
They also got the price horribly wrong. Isn't it more liked in the mid- to hi-$300s? They had it at $200K.
Murcielago (see wikipedia). I remember reading that when the car was introduced. It's still confusing, why would you name a fearsome fighting bull after a bat, oh well.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Pretty simple really.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 12:33:37 pm
They got the idea from here.

Re: Pretty simple really. Made me laugh the finger smiley *NM*
Naples986 - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 12:54:48 pm
"Bat out of hell," maybe, even though that's likely not an Italian or Spanish colloquialism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 01:10PM by Laz. (view changes)
letting anyone know I was that dumb. Poor Ole Joe or it's it Mo winking smiley
The car ended up in a field which will no doubt be referred to as... Lambo Field! cool smiley
From the: You-learn-something-new-every-day file ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 5:13:32 pm
... I wanted to know the full story, so I investigated a bit.
After WWII ended Signore Ferruccio Lamborghini returned home to Italy and started a small tractor manufacturing facility which he named after his family: Lamborghini and used a bull as his logo.
Tractor sales grew which prompted Signore Lamborghini to build a larger plant in 1949 and then again to an even larger one in 1969.
But by 1962 Signore Lamborghini decided to start devesting himself fdrom tractors, which he ended up selling a few years later and building the best sports car in the word.
Since his logo was a bull, he decided to name one of his first cars after the most powerful bulls in the world: the Spanish Miura bulls, hence, the Lamborghini Miura.
He started naming many of his cars after bullfighting themes, such as the Espada (sword), Jarama (bullfighting region in Spain), the Jalpa, another line of fighting bulls, as is the Gallardo and the Urraco.
[upload.wikimedia.org]
When he introduced the Murcielago he named it after the strongest and fiercest of all Miura bulls: MurciƩlago who had survived 28 sword strokes in a 1879 bullfight which prompted the crowd to have the matador spare his life.

I did not know that.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: From the: You-learn-something-new-every-day file ...
Laz - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 5:41:56 pm
There was a "Jota" racing prototype, built in 1970, I think, and based on the Miura. Jota is a Spanish musical dance form, so it's not inspired by bullfighting, although I wonder if the dance itself has something to do with a matador's moves. By the way, anybody remember "Matador" by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs?

[www.youtube.com]
From what I gathered, the Lamborghini Jota ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 12:16:29 am
... Was a one-off prototype based on the Miura and made to conform to FIA's racing appendix "J".
Jota, as you know is the Spanish pronounciation of the letter J.
So apparently it was named for an racing regulation appendix, and not a Spanish dance step.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Interesting. Etymology is a fascinating study. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 9:47:32 am
just how many other men, aside from the two I now know of, have built tractors and then ended up building terrific sports cars.
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me hot smiley *NM*
db997S - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 8:35:34 am
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 12:13:08 pm
Pedro Bonilla

By the way, the car was a "Lambo"... the driver was a "Lamo" grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login