Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Windshield fix it shop recommendation
Bobtesa - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 2:51:29 pm
60 degrees in DC, so I went for a drive. I live near the beltway, got on and ran into what seemed like drizzle (not a rain) of particles hitting the car. One made a slight chip in the windshield. I recall reading somewhere about methods to chemically fix small chips. My local Porcshe dealer recommended Safelite.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with fixing windshield chips - companies and/or methods that are good/bad, recommended or not.

Thanks

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Windshield fix it shop recommendation
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 3:39:54 pm
Call your insurance company, most offer zero deductible chip repair, providing the chip/crack is smaller than a dime and not impacting your visibility, they can be repaired. I had two done over 5 years ago and another one two weeks ago and none of them have spread. Safelite did my most recent repair. All three were done by mobile techs in the parking lot at work. It should be the no cost, first option.
Thanks, I'll check with my insurance co. I wonder why...
Bobtesa - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 4:05:41 pm
...windshield chip repair would not come under a deductible claim? To save the cost for the insurance company to eventually have to pay for a total replacement?
I've used Safelite for 2 repairs...
Dave In MD - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 5:51:52 pm
to the windshield on my Boxster over the last few years. Both came from construction zones on the interstates in the Baltimore - Washington area. The insurance company's web site had a way to setup the payment and make the appointment with them. I took the car to their shop on a Saturday and watched them do it. Took about 45 minutes. The repairs are pretty transparent - if you didn't know they were there it would be almost impossible to find.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
I'm sure the insurance companies contract a low fixed rate with Safelite and others. I'm not sure what the industry success rate is for these repairs, in my case, it's 100%. I don't recall what an OEM Porsche windshield costs, but I'll bet its well above the $250 deductible.

I have Liberty Mutual and when I called, they connected me directly with Safelite. I'm very pleased with the technician and the repair.
Safelite
Bobtesa - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 6:41:15 pm
It seems a few folks here have had good experiences with Safelite. They quoted $129 + some materials cost. I'll contact my insurance company, but even if they don't cover it, it is worth not have the possibility of a crack spreading and then replacing the windshield. I don't imagine that is a cheap repair and certainly not DIY.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Safelite
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 9:20:10 pm
I had Allstate for the first two and Liberty Mutual for the last repair and it seemed like SOP for insurance companies to offer zero deductible repairs. I'd be surprised if you're not covered. Good luck. As Marc mentioned, the price I'm sure they negitiate for repairs is a far cry from the $1,300 for a full replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 09:22PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
I'm sure the insurance companies contract a low fixed rate with Safelite and others. I'm not sure what the industry success rate is for these repairs, in my case, it's 100%. I don't recall what an OEM Porsche windshield costs, but I'll bet its well above the $250 deductible.

I have Liberty Mutual and when I called, they connected me directly with Safelite. I'm very pleased with the technician and the repair.

Before I opted for Safelite I priced a new windshield at a local (Fremont CA) dealer: $1300 or thereabouts. Almost certainly the cost has gone up. Going through Safelite using my insurance cost me my deductible (IIRC $500). Still cheaper by over half of what it would have cost me at the dealer.

And the odds are high the dealer farms this work out to a Safelite (or some other similar company). Many (all?) dealers do this but some dealers do not admit it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login