Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
NPC News story: Ticketed for going too slow in left lane
Laz - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 10:40:15 am
[news.yahoo.com]
Comments:
1) The article confuses the left lane with the right. (So much for proofreading.)
2) She should have used the middle or right lane to go slow, not the left, no matter her perception of danger.
3) AAA is wrong in this case, except that she probably deserved a warning, not a ticket, and that wouldn't've made this into a publicized "silly" situation.
The problem with the large majority of drivers is that they:
1. Don't have a clue of what's going on around them
2. Don't know about /care for lane discipline

Whether I'm below (OK, not very often), at or above the speed limit, if I have a faster vehicle coming up behind me, I move right at the first opportunity. That's assuming I'm not in the right lane already. It just seems that all too often, the right lane is becoming the passing lane because everyone wants to be in the "fast" lane, no matter what speed their travelling.
Here's my correspondence with AAA Mid-Atlantic
Laz - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 12:48:01 pm
"Dear Mr. Townsend-

While receiving a ticket is perhaps silly, the driver deserved at least a warning. Since she felt the conditions were dangerous, she should have at least moved to the middle or right lane, let alone get off the highway altogether. The driver might be ignorant of a "golden rule" of multi-lane driving: the left lane belongs to the fastest driver.
Years ago, the NY AAA (of which I am a member) magazine mentioned relatively slow left lane drivers as being "polite enforcers." No, they are most certainly not. In a published response, I wrote they are "rude, arrogant, and dangerous." A hypothetical, though often realized situation: someone is in the left lane of a 65 mph posted limit highway doing 67 mph. Someone comes up behind at 71. Does the front driver have the "authority" to determine 67 is fast enough? They are already breaking the law. Move over and let the other vehicle pass. And the traffic flows smoothly. That's the concept isn't it?

Sincerely,
William

ps: Take note that at about midway in the article, the author confuses left with right. Does he drive?"

His reply (rather good, I think:

"On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Townsend, John wrote:

Thanks you so much, William, for sharing your thoughts and we certainly agree with your concern about drivers who are not doing the speed of other traffic in the left lane. “Left lane slowpokes,” as we have referred to them, create dangerous and frustrating situations for others on the road.

A key component of safety on our highways is lane discipline—ensuring that slower vehicles move right and faster traffic stay left.

That said, it appears in this instance that the State Police trooper improperly ticketed the Maryland motorist, even though she was clearly not driving the prevailing speed of the left lane traffic. But we also agree the trooper should have been able to ticket her, which is why AAA Mid-Atlantic has for years pushed for tougher laws to allow for ticketing those who choose to drive in the left lane of high speed roads but choose not to maintain the prevailing speed, and thus impede traffic.

Those motorists not only create a hazard, but also clearly frustrate other motorists, and we have many documented instances of road rage as a result of “left lane slow pokes”.

Unfortunately, the story focused on the propriety of the ticketing of the driver, and in retrospect, I wish the story and my comments had been more focused on the need for appropriate law, and the need for slower drivers to stay right, for their own safety and the well being of others.

Again, thanks for your email, Bill.

John B. Townsend II
Manager, Public and Government Affairs
AAA Mid-Atlantic "

And from me:

"Dear Mr. Townsend,
Thank you for your prompt and reasoned reply. It would be good if Yahoo! News would publicize this, as it changes the balance of the article. Some readers might feel the original article reinforces their improper notions as to left lane usage.
Sincerely,
William"
In the AAA response, I don't see any reason given as to why "in this instance that the State Police trooper improperly ticketed the Maryland motorist". At least in the next sentence it is stated that they agree that in this instance, "the trouper should have been able to ticket her". So which one is it? No wonder motorist can get confused if they're not getting a clear message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 02:10PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Noticed that. Just glad he understands what the left lane is for.
Laz - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 1:57:56 pm
He might be thinking of the regulations requiring e-blinkers on when below a certain speed, eg 40 mph. Of course, not in the left lane! I wonder if traffic laws are clear about that?
"Left lane campers" are by far my biggest pet peeve. This one was even going below the speed limit! Maybe the issue didn't rise to the level of a citation, but, with all the press it's getting perhaps some other "left lane campers" will get the message.
Last email from AAA Mid-Atlantic
Laz - Thursday, 14 March, 2013, at 1:05:11 pm
To requote my last message to Mr. Townsend:
"Thank you for your prompt and reasoned reply. It would be good if Yahoo! News would publicize this, as it changes the balance of the article. Some readers might feel the original article reinforces their improper notions as to left lane usage."

And his response:
"That is an excellent suggestion..."

It'd be good if he and Yahoo! News actually follow through.
I see it all the time. People get on a two or three lane road and immediately get in the left lane for no apparent reason. Not a sole in front of them in the right or middle lane, but they just simply have to get their a$$es out in that left lane as I whiz past them at 7 miles over the speed limit in the center lane. Some days, I wish I had a James Bond car to shoot a heat-seaking missle up their tailpipe.
I think flashing headlights is legally considered "road rage" in New Jersey, unfortunately. You know you've got a self-righteous s.o.b. when after you pass them they flash you.
Can one be ticketed for both infractions???
RainyDayGarage - Friday, 15 March, 2013, at 12:16:39 pm
While fully agreeing that going the prevailing speed limit is the safest course of action in the left lane, it does seem odd that someone can potentially be ticketed for both going too fast (above the posted speed limit) and going too slow (below the prevailing speed) at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 12:17PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Re: Can one be ticketed for both infractions???
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Friday, 15 March, 2013, at 8:50:31 pm

While fully agreeing that going the prevailing speed limit is the safest course of action in the left lane, it does seem odd that someone can potentially be ticketed for both going too fast (above the posted speed limit) and going too slow (below the prevailing speed) at the same time.

Agreed, there is some ambiguity, but we all know why some states have that law, as others have have commented. The law is designed to get the slow speed campers out of the left lane and into the slower, righthand lanes where their turtle-like pace won't disrupt traffic and possibly cause an accident.

The details are lacking. What probably happened is the SP trooper probably sat back and observed her slow speed for awhile while also observing her disrupting traffic, and pinched her for it. Kudos to him. smileys with beer

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login