Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
If the savings is significant, and/or if they are old but already partly installed?

I'm in both situations, and trying to save a few bucks, but not at the expense of safety.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Check with the sanctioning body's rule book...
MarcW - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 10:03:19 am
concerning the lifespan of safety equipment.

Also, some safety equipment comes from the manufacturer with an expiration date or number of seasons of use. FIA IIRC is 5 years, SFI is 3 years.

If there is no expiration date given by the manufacturer and no rules regarding how long the equipment can be used, then it comes down to a question of ensuring what you want to use is still in good shape and has enough margin to do its job in the event it is called upon to do its job.

The last thing you want on your mind in the event of an event so to speak is whether the old seat harness is going to work. This might truly be the last thing on your mind.

I might add given what there is in the car already, its prepping and such, I can't believe the difference between a new harness and a used one is that significant. I have never priced fancy harnesses let alone ever bought one but there are times to be frugal and there are times to not splurge per se but by the best there is. Buying safety equipment is one such time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 10:05AM by MarcW. (view changes)
...either with re-webbing being sub-part, or the mechanicals having any deterioration.

Per our rules, only the webbing has an expiry, 5 years from manufacture date. The reason is that the material, unlike factory webbing, breaks down with time. Certainly that is not the case with the hardware.

My understanding is that they cost about $250-300 per side ( i need to double check) new. I have a set from Bruce (long expired) and can pick up another set for very cheap, plus $60 to re-web.

Grant

Grant

the hardware whether it is ok to continue to use.
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login