Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Need a wiring route through the firewall
bar10dah - Saturday, 24 December, 2011, at 6:04:24 pm
Will be installing a Qi45 into my '99 Box this weekend. Want to run a sensor wire from the front driver's side intake, through the firewall, and into the dash area. Off-hand, anyone know of a good route to take to go through the firewall? Possibly where a rubber grommet is?
You mean from the front trunk?....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 25 December, 2011, at 12:44:08 am
.... If that's the case there is a rubber grommet behind the front trunk's liner.
It's used for the amplifier and CD changer.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
From the trunk works...
bar10dah - Monday, 26 December, 2011, at 2:26:42 am
...if there's also a route to take from the front driver's side intake to get into the trunk.

I was going to try to look for grommets today, but it rained all day. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get out there and look.

Thanks for the tip about the wiring route for the CD changer. That should work great!
Through the wheel well may be better.
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Monday, 26 December, 2011, at 1:51:00 pm
Here's a photo of my front trunk stripped. You can see on the passenger side two rubber grommets in the front trunk leading to the battery compartment. The one farther out you can't really mess with because it's very thick, heat-molded with all the stereo and headlight wires embedded in it. But the "blank" one closer to the center is quite thin and floppy, and you could easily poke a small hole in it for a cable. Remember that the front trunk is waterproof due to these grommets and the weatherstripping (water gets into the battery area), so any holes affect waterproofness.

bare front trunk

However, I'm not sure if that really helps your application at all. If I read your message correctly, it sounds like you want to run a wire from the front bumper, driver side radiator intake, to the dashboard. Having recently had all this stuff torn apart in order to strip things out, here's how I would try to route the wire:

1. From the sensor, around the radiator duct (or through the duct and around the radiator) and straight back.
2. Behind the wheel well liner, secure it (with zip ties?) to one of the hard lines that runs along the wall towards the rear of the wheel well.
3. At the top rear of the driver side front wheel well is where the windshield washer fluid reservoir feeds through a plastic grommet to the blue filler cap under the hood. (Top right in my photo.) Feed the wire through that grommet. I think there is empty space in it or you can cut a small hole.
4. Now the wire is in the battery compartment just below the driver side windshield. You still need to get it through the "firewall" and to the dash. There are a couple of ways through I can think of. But be careful because these all my necessity create a hole in the waterproof barriers between the battery compartment and the interior.
a) Poke a hole, or route through the edge of, the black plastic cover panel behind the blue filler cap. This cover sits directly over the fuse box and relay panel by the driver's left foot.
b) Drill a new hole in the firewall and route through a new grommet.
Thanks! That actually works out great!
bar10dah - Monday, 26 December, 2011, at 10:26:36 pm
Trygve (Alameda, CA)
a) Poke a hole, or route through the edge of, the black plastic cover panel behind the blue filler cap. This cover sits directly over the fuse box and relay panel by the driver's left foot.

Didn't need to punch a hole. That cover easily unscrews, the flat telephone like wire lays flat against the foam gasket, recover and screw down. The foam gasket appears to form around the wire very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 10:27PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login