Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 60 lb dog that occasionally rides in the passenger seat.

Should I be turning off the airbag whenever he rides in the car? If so, how?

Also, I got a new puppy who is only 15 weeks old. Does anybody else drive with 2 dogs in the passenger seat? Pictures?

I put a sheepskin cover over the seat and a towel over the console compartment to protect the car but would gladly welcome any other tips....

2006 Boxster S

Thank you

Anthony

P.S. Here is a picture of the new puppy, TEAGAN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 03:41PM by atwnsw. (view changes)
There is a device that Porshce sells for use with a child seat that deactivates the air bag. My dog Cayman likes to ride in the Boxster too.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I tried buckling the seatbelt with no weight in the seat and the light didn't come on showing it was inactive....

I won't spend $600 trying to buy a child deactivation device.

Any other ideas?
I hope you'll agree that, if that's what it takes to make sure an airbag doesn't explode and maim or kill your dog, it's a small price to pay.
Uma loves to ride in the Boxster...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 9 May, 2013, at 6:08:48 pm
... and always wears her seatbelt.

[i83.photobucket.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I carry my Border Collie in my Boxster a lot. I have fitted the Porsche child seat rail, plugged it in and paid an independent dealer to activate it. When I plug an old seat belt clip a warning light flashes to say the air-bag has been de-activated.

I have a nylon seat cover and a soft fabric lined picnic blanket for Frosty to sit on. He wears a car harness which fastens to the main seat belt.

I would recommend anyone carrying their dog to de-act the air bag. Frosty rests his snout on the dash... If the air bag fired I'm sure the blow would kill him.
marty
I carry my Border Collie in my Boxster a lot. I have fitted the Porsche child seat rail, plugged it in and paid an independent dealer to activate it. When I plug an old seat belt clip a warning light flashes to say the air-bag has been de-activated.

I have a nylon seat cover and a soft fabric lined picnic blanket for Frosty to sit on. He wears a car harness which fastens to the main seat belt.

I would recommend anyone carrying their dog to de-act the air bag. Frosty rests his snout on the dash... If the air bag fired I'm sure the blow would kill him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 11:21AM by atwnsw. (view changes)
You definitely want to deactivate the passenger side airbag when your pooch is riding in the seat.

A guy in England sells a switch that plugs into the socket under the passenger seat that will allow you to do this. See discussion in 986forum. [986forum.com]. Alternatively, you can buy a used bar (and hopefully a child seat buckle) from a dismantler. Oklahoma Foreign sold a set up to me for about $50. In both cases, you will need to have a dealer or independent shop program the car to activate the child seat option.

PS: Before you buy either option, check to see how your car deactivates the passenger side airbag. What I describe above works on 986s up through 2004. So I'm not sure what needs doing for a 2006 model.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login