Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Strange horn behavior
ericp - Monday, 26 December, 2011, at 10:02:19 pm
'01 Base. I have this weird symptom with the horn. For the most part it won't work with the key in the ignition, but will work once the key is removed. Also doesn't matter what position the key is in when inserted, and whether car is running or not, it just doesn't work with the key in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric
Re: Strange horn behavior
newt - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 9:47:05 am
Yes, I just had these exact symptoms on my 2001 S, it would not pass state inspection, I had to replace the contact unit, clockspring and airbag control unit (all are inside the steering column), dealer charged $675, a lot of time was spend on diagnosis I think.
Generally when this happens...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 9:58:58 am
... the issue is with the Horn/Airbag plate.
The same that when worn causes the horn to go off on it's own, sometimes grounds itself so that when the ignition is off you can sound the horn.
Replace or repair the plate.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Generally when this happens...
newt - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 10:03:31 am
well the video isn't exactly the same, but it gets you in there.
Re: Generally when this happens...
ericp - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 10:16:07 am
Is that the air bag control ring from the video? Looks like part number 996.652.211.00.

Thanks!
Eric
newt - Tuesday, 27 December, 2011, at 10:02:19 am
Here is a video if you want to do it yourself. I did not know what to do, and although it doesn't look too hard, I think I would have been kinda scared to do this myself.

[www.youtube.com]
linklaw - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 6:49:40 am
I had the same problem with my 2001 a few years ago. It turned out there was a broken ground wire. When the key was out of the ignition, the horn found a ground and worked but when the key was inserted the ground went away and the horn stopped working. Found a broken wire near the horn plate where the wire makes a 90 degree bend. There have been posts about this same problem on some of the other Boxster forums in the last couple months. John
Question ?
Wayne K - Wednesday, 28 December, 2011, at 4:42:18 pm
In the video why does the ignition need to be turned on and is it left on until procedure is completed ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login