Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
If i undo the iner CV joint at the tranny....is there room
grant - Saturday, 1 June, 2013, at 2:53:04 pm
to wiggle the entire drive-shaft out (assuming i also remove the axle nut). Doing so would obviate the problem of counter-holding that stupid T40 torx shaft on the ball joint......

Just wonderin' (there is so little room there)

TIA,

Grant

ps: yes, i am obsessing, thanks

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
From what I remember, but don't think there is room. Are you do for an alignment? I undid the concentric thingermabob on the other end of the arts get the axle out.
I'm not following....
grant - Sunday, 2 June, 2013, at 8:26:15 am
The drive-shaft connects to the transmission at one end, and sits in a splined hub at the other.

I have now read that one *can* get it out by dropping the manifold (ugh).

What are you suggesting?

Grant

Grant

Re: I'm not following....
Petee_C - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 9:18:46 am
grant
What are you suggesting?

Grant

Sorry for the cryptic response.... my phone has to relearn my vocabulary for the autocorrect (Swiftkey on Samsung GS3). Anyways....

This is how I did it for the passenger side.... Instead of removing the balljoint, I removed the other end of that arm. This is the tip that Dave (Alcantera on Pcool smiley suggested.

I did scribe the alignment thingermabob, but I would definitely recommend an alignment if you do it this way. I ate a pair of rear Hankook V12's in less than 10,000km (~6,000miles). Car drove straight, but the inside edges of both my tires were done in less than 9 months driving.

If you are due for an alignment, than this method may work for you.... a 4 wheel alignment locally is $100 or so.

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2013 09:19AM by Petee_C. (view changes)
you were able to wiggle it out?

I could care less about alignment - i'm replacing darn near everything in there and installing track setup (list somewhere in another post, but starting with new control arms, PSS9s, and new toe links)

Sop this could be very helpful.

Thanks,

Grant

Grant

Been a few years but.....
Rob in CO - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 11:28:35 am
I think I tried it one way on the first side and then used the alternate method on the other. I do not recall doing anything with the exhaust, however. I think you have to remove either the ball joint or the inboard pivot in order to get enough space to wiggle the axle out. I seem to remember using a 2x4 as a brace to hold the hub out. Once you have enough room, you will probably have to give the axle a pretty good whack. I did.
pretty much. You need to remove the Sway bar links to get a bit more room to push the hub out, but those are easy with standard wrenches. There were flats on the ball end of the link to get a wrench on it.

It was a couple years ago....I used a pointy tip on my air chisel and put it in the hole on the outboard end of the axle after removing the nut, and vibrated it out to get it going. Hitting with a hammer would also work.

[blog.pjbj.ca]

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2013 11:31AM by Petee_C. (view changes)
...anyone? *NM*
grant - Sunday, 2 June, 2013, at 5:58:42 pm
Grant

Re: ...anyone?
Rob in CO - Sunday, 2 June, 2013, at 7:22:44 pm
It has been a few years but I think you have to undo the ball joint. Did you look at Pedros instructions? I found them helpful when I did it.
Wayne seems to like to leave large gaps in his explanations....

But it suggests that you can

1. undo the inner joint from the trnny
2. remove the axle nut
3. fiddle somehow with the exhaust
4. wiggle the joint out.

If so this may be easier for CV boots and it also provides access to the ball joint T40 stud to counter-hold.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login