Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Question about Build Date
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 2:07:56 pm
My '99 Boxster was adopted in 2001, so I don't have the details of the actual build. I did do a Carfax many years ago and found the first registration date was 04-15-99. There is a silver date stamp on the engine cover - December 08 1998, is this the date she was built? If so, this was a Wednesday and from what I've read, that was a good day of the week for car building... you don't want a Monday or Friday car. winking smiley

This would also indicate that she's a "late-build" 1999, so cylinder issues should have been ironed out. She was a special order with LOTS of options (top of the dotcom bubble).

Now that we've crossed 109,000 miles, I think I'll keep her!

Happy New Years!

Re: Question about Build Date
Wayne K - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 2:45:47 pm
Sounds like a keeper to me. I think if it was built Dec 98 then it would be an earlier built 99.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 4:43:42 pm
Perhaps Porsche builds them differently today, but I've seen 2012 models in show rooms well before Jan 1.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 04:45PM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
MikenOH - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 5:05:50 pm
The month it was actually assembled should be on the drivers side door sticker--IIRC-- on the underside of the door in the form of 4/99 or something similar. I'd be curious what month it was built, since I had one built in May of 99 which ran like a clock.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 5:54:57 pm
I'll take a look at the door tag, but the stamp on the engine cover tells me the car must be newer than 12/8/98, unless they grab the cars off the shelf and slap a fresh engine cover on them on the way to the boat. winking smiley
and ship time to the US for roughly 2-3 weeks, Sounds like roughly a Feb. or March build; let us know what you find out on the sticker.
You are correct ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 6:24:12 pm
... the production year starts after the summer break and ends with the summer break.
So, MY99 started being built in 8/98 and the last ones were built in 6/99.
Don't assume anything with these engines.
Change your oil at no more than 5000 mile intervals and carefully inspect your oil filter every time fo=r signs of metal chips or flakes.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You are correct ...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 30 December, 2011, at 9:18:16 pm
I know it was built after 12/08/98. I was just curious if the stamp on the engine cover had any significance. I do change my oil every 5k, since 90,000 miles and I'm due in another 1k. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login