Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Help! Power seat jammed all the way forward!
Byron in Atlanta - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 2:16:53 pm
Hey guys! I have left the Boxster fold and the complexity of the 996 has bitten me in the arse! I got an '01 996 Turbo and today, I moved the power seat forward to replace the rear floormat. When I released the adjustment switch the seat continued to move forward. I heard the fuse pop when it reached the end of its travel and it would not move after that. I replaced the fuse and it blew again immediately when I tried to move the seat. Long story short, the seat bottom and back are all the way forward and I cannot get in the car at all. Furthermore, I cannot remove the seat as I can only access the two rear mounting bolts!

I have removed the switches from the side of the seat. They are micro switches and are not serviceable. I can hear a clicking from under the seat as in a relay. Oddly, the switch activates the relay clicking whether the fuse is in or out? I have looked everywhere for a way to access a cable or gear to manually roll the seat back. I have looked for a release mechanism and cannot get the seat to budge in reverse. I did manage to get it to move more towards the front!!! I tired whacking the seat rail with a hammer while activating the switch in reverse. Now I have resorted to disassembling the seat completely!!!

HELP!!!! I posted on Renntech and Rennlist with no real answers. Next stop is the dealer!
Sorry, but I have no experience in this area. A WAG is there....
MarcW - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 4:56:36 pm
might be a way to disconnect the seat adjustment drive and then move the seat to where you want it and reconnect the drive and as long as you do not try to adjust the seat all should be well well enough to allow you to get the car to a shop.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
the seat.

Disconnect the drive cables (there should be 2) from its respective motor. Use a drill motor to turn the drive cables to move the seat forward or backward to access the seat bolts.

Since there are two drive cables you'll have to alternate between the two moving the seat in steps.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
One thing to try
Boxsterra - Saturday, 31 December, 2011, at 8:25:17 pm
the seat may have gotten jammed so the amount of current required to slide it back may exceed the capacity of the fuse. You can try replacing the fuse, pushing hard on the seat in the direction you want it to move and then pressing the adjustment button again. Once the seat gets out of being stuck it may just start working again.
I once had pocket change in the seat track
tom coughlin - Monday, 2 January, 2012, at 10:41:14 am
that stopped it from moving (I think it was in the Boxster). Get the flashlight out and go diving for dimes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login