Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
AOS reeplacement - procedure question
grant - Sunday, 1 January, 2012, at 2:34:48 pm
I see Pedro's write-up begins with removing the air intake snorkel and the throttle body.

My quick looks makes me ask "why" - it seems i can just disconnect the hoses at the AOS and move along.

Or, do i need to get those components out of the way for better access down deep later?

2004 2.7L car.

TIA,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: AOS reeplacement - procedure question
Dave In MD - Sunday, 1 January, 2012, at 2:47:59 pm
if your AOS has failed and produced clouds of smoke, then you need to clean the oil out of the throttle body and the intake paths. If not, then it's not necessary. You'll find the 03 and 04 are a bit different from the instructions with some minor changes to the plumbing. It's still a pretty easy DIY.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 02:48PM by Dave In MD. (view changes)
Thanks for the quick reply
grant - Sunday, 1 January, 2012, at 3:14:05 pm
Mine has not rally failed. It let one drop through on the track last fall (big bomb). Nothing since.

I may clean it anyway - we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Grant

Grant

The 03 and 04 models...
Dave In MD - Sunday, 1 January, 2012, at 5:47:44 pm
seem to be more suseptable to puffs on the track than other years. There's a Porsche TSB for the 03 and 04 models on this. Hard braking into a hard left hander and then back on the gas heavy seems to be the perfect storm for them - especially on R compound tires. My first AOS failed on the track in a very complete way with a big trail of smoke. I'm on my third AOS at 60k miles, but the 2nd never completely failed. I just got tired of seeing the smoke on my home track at Summit Point in turns 5/6. It never happened at any other of the tracks I run. I could avoid it by slowing down in the two turns, but where's the fun in that?

If you keep seeing it on the track and decide it needs more, the TSB calls for installation of the motorsports AOS and you have to change one of the feeder tubes from the left front of the engine. It's not a cheap fix, but I've never had another puff of smoke on the track after installing it. The MS AOS is part number 996-107-926-00, the tube (called a "vent line" by Porsche) is part number 996-107-947-00 and you need two longer screws to attach the AOS that are part number 900-067-316-02.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Maybe you have a good memory and remembered my post :-)

Left hand, hard braking, downshift to 2nd, hard on gas -- oh $H1T!

But only once. Never a problem again.

Anyway, job done, much cursing, intakes were mostly clean of oil.

I put in the regular unit since $700 + parts seemed a bit much for the motorsports unit.

Thanks for the experience!

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login