Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Car wash
JackintheBoxster - Monday, 9 September, 2013, at 4:50:52 pm
I remember some discussion years ago that 986s should not be taken through a carwash. Is this still the accepted wisdom? Mine really needs a wash tomorrow and I don't feel like screwing around.
Re: Car wash
ericp - Monday, 9 September, 2013, at 5:19:36 pm
I may regret this; I take mine through a few times a year when I'm in a rush and it's dirty.

-Eric
I do it at least every couple of months.
Rob in CO - Monday, 9 September, 2013, at 5:34:46 pm
Other than an occasional small leak between a window and the top, no issues. I only do the basic wash and no extra wax or coatings though. Not sure the top fabric would appreciate those.
If we had not done so, the car probably would have been "eaten" by the New England winter road salt by now :-)
db997S - Monday, 9 September, 2013, at 5:35:23 pm
I don't do car washes, simply because I have the facility to wash it myself. If I didn't then I'd run it through one, yes. If you do, you might want to consider apply "Ragg Top" a couple of times of years. I never use soap on my top. I simply hose it down. The Ragg Top has both a cleaner and protectant. I use the cleaner prior to applying the protectant, but since you do the car wash thing, the protectant should be fine on its own. You may notice that when it rains, the water does not bead up on the fabric top any longner. New tops cost a lot of money. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, which i always seem to do, then you may want to consider this approach. If you get a new car fairly often, then no real need to do so.
The classic car wash scene
Laz - Monday, 9 September, 2013, at 7:58:52 pm
dennisafrompa - Tuesday, 10 September, 2013, at 5:28:33 pm
It'll fall apart if you take it through a car wash!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ran mine through very often but I don't think that made the IMS fail!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 05:29PM by dennisafrompa. (view changes)
It depends on the car wash
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 11 September, 2013, at 8:16:04 am
I've tried a few times. Some can't handle the wide wheels (grind grind) and some can't handle how low the car is (scrape scrape).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login