Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just a thanks for the help on the AOS. ...PLus some notes
grant - Sunday, 1 January, 2012, at 7:49:52 pm
especially Pedro for his tech article. Dave in MD for quick replies! And as i recall, Stefan and others some months back.

I'll try to write up some additional notes relevant to DIY on the 03-04 986 models. It appears to be quite different from earlier cars - e.g.: the ones in Mike Focke's writeup (helpful too, thanks) and in 101 projects (next to useless IMO).

I'll speculate that the procedure differs year to year. But for 03-04 cars with the redesigned AOS, the quick notes are:

1. you must get the bottom hose clamp from under the car, with it raised.
2. access to that clamp, and to the lower right intake hose, is a real pain.
3. Don't even think of doing this job without the remote, cable-operated, hose clamp pliers as pictured in Pedro's write up. I'll note several folks here told me "nah, not such a big deal". I'll presume it varies by year. It was a big deal. Sears sells a very nice french-made pair, by the way. $40.
4. I was concerned that if and when i DID get that hose clamp off, down in the nether reaches, i would never get it back together. Don't fear, with the hose clamp held open by the pliers, it literally slips together with nearly no force. As everyone said, its much easier going together than coming apart
5. Channel locks are very useful for the quick release plastic connections

See pics. They show various tools that are really useful, some in use in the field.
Also shows the very difficult accessibility of the lower hose clamp on the MY03/04 cars.
If you look carefully, you can see the hose clamp pliers business end ( the claw) on the end of the black sheathed cable, from the top (with the AOS out) and from inside the rear wheel well (with the tire off)

Hopefully, AOS safe for another 5-8 years!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 07:52PM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login