Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Happy New Year & Cayman seat ventilation inquiry.
Laz - Monday, 2 January, 2012, at 6:43:37 pm
I intend to order a Cayman S in a couple months, and've been considering the ventilated seat option, which requires ordering auto AC. I realize ventilation could be quite a convenience with a Boxster's sun baked seats, or getting sweaty with top down driving (AC or not.) I'd always fiddle with the Boxster's settings in spite of having the auto function, so having manual control is not an issue, nor is what appears to be a lack of a numerical temperature display in the Cayman's regular AC. (When you're hot, you're hot; when you're not, you're not!)

So does anyone here have actual anecdotal evidence as to the effectiveness of Porsche's ventilated seats? (Also, a friend said he found the seat fans in his BMW to be noisy.)
Re: Happy New Year & Cayman seat ventilation inquiry.
db997S - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 11:38:40 am
I have them in my 997S Cab and they are fantastic. Not sure why they are needed with the AC option as what happens is each seat has a fan in it, the fan sucks the air away from the seat, which basically draws your bodyheat away from your backside. They are not AC seats. I don't find them that noisy, but my cabin maybe a bit noiser than a coupe's. You can hear the fan, but it is more background noise. I've even used them on the highway in the heat of the day when my top is up, so they should be useful even in a coupe, too. It's just nice to get out of a car on a hot summer day and not have a sweaty back/backside. The first time I ever experienced such seats was about 5 or 6 years ago in FL when I rented a Caddy. Fell in love with them then.
I thank you for the excellent, informed response.
Laz - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 12:19:56 pm
I was already aware of their fans operational direction: pulling air through the seat squabs and backs. Do the fans only work with the AC actually running or at least set to "Auto?" (Perhaps they only function with that setting.--?)

Elsewhere I've read a couple complaints about seat leather spotting. I presume that isn't the case with your car's seats.

All in all, as I want my car to be an all-weather long distance cruiser, the two options seem to be worth the expense, along with a rear wiper, LSD, xenons, heated seats and steering wheel. (And four wheel-mounted snow tires at the ready.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 12:21PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: I thank you for the excellent, informed response.
db997S - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 12:54:25 pm
No, I have not noticed any spotting in the two years that I've owned the car, wonder if the spotting is due to their choice of Leather conditioner/cleaner. The system works even when the AC is not on auto. In the summer, I have the top down in 95 degree heat with the AC running on manual (floor and vent option selected) and the seats on. I actually went home for lunch today and tried the ventilated seats, with the heat on and top up (a few flurries here in DC). On high, the fan was noticable at city speeds, even while driving, but nowhere near as loud as the climate system when that fan is on 3/4 to full speed. I don't think you'll need it on high in a coupe (unless at a DE event and you need the windows down). On medium and low, I only noticed the fan sound when stopped at a light, not while driving. Now, that being said, my wife would tell you that I've reached the point where I have selective hearing. I remember when I picked up the car, the sales guy said some people even use the ventilation system for the seats even with the seat warmers on. The seat warmers (only two heat options) can get warm, even when on the lowest setting. So, this must be to provide some heat to your back for long-distance driving in the summer, as even on the low setting, the heated seats are pretty darn toasty when wearing a thin shirt.

The heating steering wheel is great option too, especially on a Cab. But, even with the top up on cool days that I wouldn't normally have gloves on me, I put it on instead of lugging around gloves. Even in the winter, I'll want to take my gloves off on long drives and the wheel warmer is a nice touch.
Further thanks, db. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 1:07:37 pm
Re: Happy New Year & Cayman seat ventilation inquiry.
Tino - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 1:00:14 pm
We have ventilated seats in the Boxster. My wife fell in love with them as soon as she tried them. You do feel a difference, with your torso and back getting noticeably cooler almost immediately when you turn them on, top up or top down. They work independently of the AC, I believe. As for noise, if you listen for it, you'll hear the fans. If you are not paying particular attention to them, you won't notice them.
And thank you, Tino.
Laz - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 1:08:07 pm
In consideration of all this good information, I judge the ventilation option to be worth it, even with the added expense of Auto AC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 01:10PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login