Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
For the last 4 years or so, it's been a pain in the a ...er, rear sad smiley smiling smiley for Canucks to buying gas in States. As some of you know, the further south you go, the more likely that you're asked for your ZIP code when paying with a credit card at the pump. We don't have ZIP codes and the pumps don't let us use letters, so it's been a real hassle every time you go to buy gas.

I think I've finally found a solution after doing some searching on the Internet. One guy said he had some success using the 3 numbers of his postal code and adding 2 zeros. So if your postal code is N2E 2T3, use 22300 for your "ZIP code".

I tried this using the numbers from my postal code + 2 zeros on our trip to Florida and it worked 5 out of 5 times when I was asked for my ZIP code. Hey, 100% isn't bad. cool smiley

I used my AMEX at:
Shell stations in South Carolina, Georgia, and 2 stations in Florida
BP station in Virginia
It worked every single time.

So I have no idea what the pumps/computers are checking, but it couldn't be actual postal codes. confused smiley
And for other international. cards ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 7:38:14 am
... such as my Mom's Visa from the Dominican Republic, which also has no Zip Codes, I've used 00000 or 99999 and it's worked most of the time.
Guenter you timed your trip to Central Florida just right because this week the temps are dropping to the 20s.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: And for other international. cards ...
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 9:13:52 am
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... such as my Mom's Visa from the Dominican Republic, which also has no Zip Codes, I've used 00000 or 99999 and it's worked most of the time.
Guenter you timed your trip to Central Florida just right because this week the temps are dropping to the 20s.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Thanks Pedro. The credit card thing has been a real pain. Glad there's a work around. I don't like filling partial tanks. I like to fill it all the way. That way I know I can go 300 - 350 miles until the next stop.

So, are you saying that I brought those nice warm temperatures for our stay? winking smiley What a change. Even Sunday in Charlotte, NC it was a nice balmy 72F, but it went quickly down hill after that. It's going to be a refreshing day time high of 9 F here today.
It's not the gag pump who checks out the zip code but rather the gas station's credit card processor who does the address verification with your credit card issuer. The card processor knowing that it's a foreign card does not bother with the address check.
carlos in Montreal
It's not the gag pump who checks out the zip code but rather the gas station's credit card processor who does the address verification with your credit card issuer. The card processor knowing that it's a foreign card does not bother with the address check.

Thanks Carlos. I wish I'd know that sooner. It's been a constant battle getting the tank filled the past couple of years.
Re: US bound Canucks - gas pump credit card ZIP code hack
DougW - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 8:56:22 am
Thanks for the tip Guenter we will try it on our way home from N.C.this weekend, hope it works for us too!
DougW
Thanks for the tip Guenter we will try it on our way home from N.C.this weekend, hope it works for us too!

Good luck with it, Doug. It worked every time for me this trip. Maybe you can just use any 5 digits.

Safe travels.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: US bound Canucks - gas pump credit card ZIP code hack
DougW - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 9:41:52 am
I tried using 00000 and 11111 without any success on our way to N.C. two weeks ago, so will give your combo a try, if you have any advice for buying lottery tickets please pass that along too (besides don't buy'em)
No Boxster driving today in the NC mountains
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 11:22:24 am
The summer tires doen't really like sub-freezng temps and snow!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
But you weren't regretting when
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 5:56:19 pm
it was short sleeve weather up to New Years eve.

Teens tonight.

And it is only gonna last a few days and then 60s again in the sandhills.
a comment.....
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 7:05:49 pm
In WA, we're never asked for a zip code when purchasing petrol. That would really make the lines at the Costco and Fred Meyer(grocery/gas, etc..) a nightmare.
regards
Re: a comment.....
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 7:42:48 pm
por911(bc)
In WA, we're never asked for a zip code when purchasing petrol. That would really make the lines at the Costco and Fred Meyer(grocery/gas, etc..) a nightmare.
regards

That seems to be the pattern with WA close to the Canadian border. I've never been asked for zip code in NY, PA and MI. It seems to be the states farther from the Can/Am border that require it. It really isn't a problem IF you have a zip code.
My experience
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 9:28:19 am
was you'd get asked for a zip code if you started to become too far away from your normal buying territory. One reason I call my card company and tell them where I'm going if on a planned long trip is to spare me the data entry. I always assumed it was a mild form of security...kinda like something you have (card) and something you know (zip) both being required.
por911(bc) - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 10:05:45 am
Well, I'll test this out when we go to Maui. I don't remember being asked for it(zip code) the last time we went, but maybe they are used to visitors there and it is just standard practice.
regards
jwdbox - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 10:23:08 am
Costco doesn't ever ask for zip code in my experience regardless of state, however regular gas stations in most states do.cool smiley
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 2:02:12 pm
In the fall I traveled through MA,NH, ME and several Canadian Provinces (NB, NS) and don't recall being asked in 2k miles but then I had informed the credit card co beforehand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login