Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
And see how few Boxsters/Caymans are sold (3150 in 2011) compared to Cayennes...or Panas.

Boxsters half of 911s which are about the same as Panas which are half the Cayennes

Article
I agree that the Boxster/Cayman numbers are pretty dismal. However, there haven't been any Boxster and Caymans produced since about October and there are very few left on the lots. I'm not sure when production is scheduled to begin at the new plant.
Re: P-car US sales up 15% but look at the numbers
TheFarmer - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 9:04:44 pm
These numbers come and go, and what is pretty consistent is that new models sell more than models expected to be re-newed soon: i.e. 911 slightly up, boxster/cayman down. What is most notable is increase in Cayenne.
very low on new cars/vehicles stock. One dealer had just 5 new vehicles.

Another told me about lost sales. Having to tell a prospective -- in this case a Cayenne buyer -- she has to wait 6 months for the vehicle had this buyer walking out the door and buying a Lexus.

Various dealers are scrambling to buy used cars from Porsche auctions just to have used Porsches on their lots. Since there are not many new cars there are fewer trade-ins available to keep the used car portion of the Porsche dealership lot full. And some Porsche dealers are buying non-Porsche used cars -- like M-B's, BMW's and so on -- just to have something to cover the lot.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I've heard a lot of dealer commercials (M-B, Lexus, Audi, etc.) telling lease owners that their cars, "have increased in value". I thought it was a B.S. trick to get them to turn in a lease early and lease a new one from their dealership and the car maker would cover any early turn-in penalties. Your information indicates there may be some truth to their pitch.
Hmm, used car salesmen telling the truth... perhaps we are heading for the Apocalypse. grinning smiley

Thanks for the article, Marc.
Andy from Newport - Tuesday, 3 January, 2012, at 10:06:15 pm
I was really surprised when I bought my most recent Boxster (a year ago) how few are actually stocked on dealer's lots here in Southern California. Very few choices in color and virtually no choices on options. That may be why they sell less than some other models. Not many folks have the patience to custom order a car.
db997S - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 8:55:28 am
Unfortunately, SUVs are still king in the US of A. The Boxster is the bastard child of the Porsche line up. It gets no respect from the company even though it is constantly touted by auto critics as the best of the Porsche line up. But, pricing is one of the reasons I jumped from a Boxster S to a 911 S Cab two years ago. Even in the dregs of the financial crisis, dealers weren't dealing on Boxsters. Percentage wise, I got more off of the MSRP of my 2002 Boxster S in July of 2002 then I could get off the MSRP of an 09 Boxster S in November of 2009. The price difference between my '09 997S Cab and a similarly optioned Boxster S was less than $20K. I thought it was money well spent.

On the positive side, maybe lower production volume will help keep used Boxster prices up.
Deleted! *NM*
MarcW - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 4:16:08 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 04:17PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Not surprising
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 5:16:54 pm
I looked at Hennessy Porsche's inventory here in Atlanta and they have one Boxster and four Caymans. OTOH, they have a couple dozen 911s and another two or three dozen Cayennes. Of course, most of the 911s are Turbos or C4s with higher prices (only 2 base 911s). No surprise they are not selling 987s - they don't have any. And I believe Hennessy is one of the largest Porsche dealers in the country.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
So far I haven't been able to find any information as to when. It is probably taking a while to set up all the new machinery and supply / assembly lines. My guess is that's why Porsche is waiting until the Geneva show to officially debut the 981. From what I've read, there won't likely be any 981s available for delivery until at least late Spring.
A new model built in a new factory... I wouldn't expect any hiccups on the first few off that assembly line. winking smiley

I know I always have to throw away the first few pancakes I make, I wonder if Porsche does the same.tongue sticking out smiley
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
A new model built in a new factory... I wouldn't expect any hiccups on the first few off that assembly line. winking smiley

Have a got a bridge to sell you - and at a price you won't believe. winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
grinning smiley *NM*
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 2:29:39 pm
new 991's will be in showrooms shortly *NM*
Harvey in FL - Thursday, 5 January, 2012, at 10:57:14 am
Re: new 991's will be in showrooms shortly
jg wnc - Thursday, 5 January, 2012, at 2:38:50 pm
There are two at Hennessy in Atlanta. Unfortunately they are covered until the unveiling next month.
MikenOH - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 10:46:09 pm
Some amazing numbers--the SUV and sedan now represent about 70% of NA Porsche sales. I'm not sure what that says about the buyers or the cars, but the sports car side of this business has certainly taken a backseat to the versions that are the bread and butter of NA car sales.

I seem to recall there was a lot of talk about how the Cayanne was a mistake and it wouldn't sell back when it was introduced, but sales numbers don't lie.
I wonder how long Porsche could continue to produce sports cars if they didn't have the SUV & Sedan subsidy?
Re: P-car US Comparison #s available? Some Additional Thoughts
AS2003 - Thursday, 5 January, 2012, at 11:48:55 am
It would be interesting to compare the number of 997s and 987s sold right now with the number of 964s and 944s sold back in the 90s. My guess is that the numbers are much better for the 997/987 models and that the SUV and sedan are keeping Porsche very profitable. With that said, if Porsche is making a profit on the 987s, imagine what their profit margins are on the 997, which shares so many parts with the 987. From their perspective, it's better to be selling 997s. Hopefully the profits and economies of scale afforded by the production of the 987s will ensure that they will continue to be produced. But overall, it's not great for the 987. For most other car makers, the low-priced models outsell the more expensive models, which most make their thinner profit margins worth it. For example, a BMW press release I came across noted the breakdown of their sales by model in the following way: 5500 3 series, 2500 5 series, and 1300 7 series models.
Boxster - Porsche Best Buy. Porsche - prestige car?
Bobtesa - Friday, 6 January, 2012, at 9:44:35 am
While the current sales figures may not be reflective of total sales, if Boxster sales are at the bottom, while other makes (like BMW) sell more of their low end cars, this leads me to two conclusions.

1. Boxsters are the best Porsche deal. Especially for sports car drivers. Sure, Porsche probably makes plenty of profit from its lowest end car, the standard Boxster, but look what you get. Porsche's lowest price, a mid-engine car, with a convertible top. The Boxster coupe (the Porsche Cayman), costs more than the soft top version - the only car maker to reverse this cost difference. I remember when Boxsters first came out how we dreamed of having 911 power. My 2008S has old 911 power, with a soft top, and cost less then 911's did in the late 90's. Not a bad deal.

2. The sales number also make me think that Porsche is even more of a marque brand than I had thought. I have no problem with Porsche making as much profit as they can. I hope this helps them keep making great Boxsters. I am sure the Panameras and Cayenne's are good if not great cars and SUVs, as are 911's, but given what you get for the price, I can't help but thinking folks are more interested in having the Porsche emblem on their car. I have a friend who bought a Tuareg. As I recall, it was pretty much a Cayenne in sheep's clothing. Cars are in many ways status symbols, this may be what the sales figures are showing.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 8 January, 2012, at 1:15:14 pm
I've been looking for a Boxster for awhile now, and can safely say there are fewer newer Boxsters S models available this year over previous years.

I wonder how the "new" design Boxster will affect the ownership of current 987s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login