Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
2001 S....clarification on AOS
dallas01s - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 4:15:00 pm
About to dive into my first AOS replacement and gathering the various special tools/parts. I've reviewed the several (& great...thanks all) posted instructions on line, but unclear if the '01 S is one that I'll have to engage from below, or as in Pedro's instructions, that I'll be able to do everything from above. Hoping for the latter....will be unbuttoning things later tonight to take a look. This one began smoking conveniently within 50ft of the garage.....lucky break.

Thanks....
Depending on the ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 5:01:55 pm
... tools that you're using ion particular the spring clamp tool (with extended cable) you may be able to do everything from the top and side.
It generally helps to remove the rear right wheel. You can actually see the AOS from the wheelwell and it's easier to properly guide the spring clamp tool.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Depending on the ...
dallas01s - Wednesday, 4 January, 2012, at 6:16:46 pm
Hi Pedro; I have the same Sears Craftsman spring clamp tool shown in your instructions. Just cracked things open and haven't seen the bolts yet...not sure if I have the 10mm side bolts or 5mm top, but guessing the former. A bit more investigation in order and I can plot a route....suspect I'll be taking the rear wheel out as you suggest....
i dont know when the break is for the new vs iold style AOS, but..
grant - Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, at 12:25:30 pm
In either case i think you should be prepared to get at the lower spring clamp from "below". "Below" means really through the right rear wheel well, with the wheel off adn the car up - not very high really - on blocks/stands. I had my trausty paid or 6 x 6 PT blocks, plus a hockey puck, under the rar diagonal brace where it meets the chassis support. I then reached in through the wheel well to position the tool - which i never removed from the clip. leave it on as the AOS comes out - then just push the new AOS back in adn finally remove the tool, and the cklamp will , well, clamp.

I wont be home until ~ 8pm but freel free to email me.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Thanks Grant....I completed this successfully but it was quite a PITA! I had more trouble getting the tube clamp pointing to outside of the car removed...couldn't find a good way to grasp it to release. As for the spring clamp on bottom of AOS, the spring clamp pliers did the job. Cutting the bellows is an alternative for those w/o the pliers. For reassembly, I just ordered a new spring clamp from Pelican with the plastic retainer attached....just pull it after you have the new one in place.

A few misc notes for those looking at doing this on an '01 S:
- the "y-tube" from AOS to intake was mentioned on Pelican as being a new, longer part, so I ordered this with the new AOS. However, on my '01 S, the new tube was identical to the old one and wasn't needed.
- my '01 indeed had the 10mm bolts, side mounted to the engine from below. Rear wheel well access was a must.
- I decided to clean out my intake/throttle body just in case a lot of oil was still in there, but mine was not too bad since I caught it just as AOS failed in my driveway. Wish I hadn't, as the throttle body to air intake was an incredibly tight fit, and struggled for some time to get it back on!

Oh, and one other thing, I unfortunately found that right inside CV boot was cracked and leaking badly while I had the right rear wheel removed. Bad news, but I guess for 11-yr old vehicle not bad for the first one...
Nearly all your experiences match mine...
grant - Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, at 8:16:30 pm
The Throttle Body to intake took tons of pressure - i feared breaking something. I greased it to re-assemble, but such that grease wont go into the intake tract....much.

My TB was oil free, but had quite a bit of hard carbon on it. Gummout made work of that. Pedro - you worried that carb cleaner might be "harsh". On a fully mechanical throttle body made of metal.... why do you care?

The spring clamps on the y-hose are quite difficult to get at , press sufficiently, and simultaneously move sideways. That' why in my priginal notes, i suggested using channel-lock pliers.

Glad you're done. Check out raxles.com to sav on OEM quality rebuilt axles.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
on the TB.

What I found helped was to use vegetable oil to lube the plastic a bit and some heat -- my hands -- to to soften the plastic to make it a bit easier to slide on over the TB. Had I been better prepared I would have had a heat gun, hair blow drier and used this to heat the plastic.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I used a very small bit of Plastilube (anti-squel for back of brake pads on our BMWs) on the plastic air intake pipe, then put my hands INSIDE of the t-tube to get leverage, and it finally begrudgingly went in!
How Many Miles
Larry Nakamura - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 2:53:21 am
I'm curious as I have an 01S, how many miles do you have on the car?
Re: How Many Miles
dallas01s - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 11:53:48 am
Very low miles....about 32K. Have been very lucky so far with very little replacement items. Only oil changes, brake fluid flushes, and normal maintenance stuff. Original belt was a bit brittle but not cracking at 10 yrs! One window regulator. I have a feeling expansion tank and water pump are next....may even do them preventatively for peace of mind so that I don't have one fail out of town. PM me if other questions....out of town now but glad to discuss....
Replaced my AOS/Still Oil in J-Tube
bar10dah - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 6:04:13 pm
Replaced my AOS about 2 days and 30 miles ago. Took my j-tube off so I could to the throttle body cleaning. Noticed oil inside the tube, which I cleaned out when I replaced my AOS. Looked into the opening in the AOS and saw a puddle of oil right there on the inside of the lip of the opening. Normal? Or do I have problems?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login