Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
new drive axle or CV repair/reboot?
dallas01s - Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, at 6:54:59 pm
As I mentioned in a previous post while doing AOS replacement, I discovered rear inner CV/boot torn/leaking to the point where either CV or entire axle will have to be replaced. I'm probably going to task this one out to a local indy with better setup for this job. I can get new complete axle assembly for $547. Replacement CV and boots considerably less on the parts side, but more labor to repack/rebuild. My guess is that I'm in for $200-300 more to do the entire axle replacement, P&L, net-net vs the new inner CV only and rebuild/reboot, and I get a new CV joint on the outer as well. Any strong preference/recommendations if this was your decision? Thanks
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
to let him clean the half-shafts/bearings and advise me what was needed. He told me very often the bearings are ok.

He cleaned them, found the bearings to be ok -- even with way over 200K miles on them! -- and repacked them and put everything back together.

I forget the labor cost for the R&R and cleanging and repacking but it was heck of a lot cheaper than the route I wanted to take: replace the original factory half-shafts with new ones. They cost around $900/each! Then the labor's about the same.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
my guy said that new CV joint/boots and repacking was more than just putting in a new axle, which made sense as they take the axle out in either case. I got the same $900-ish price from local dealers, but places like Sunset and Suncoast source Porsche part for mid to upper $500's. Since mine is making noise (I mistook what must have been CV noise for another rattle, so it's been bad for at least 6 months), I'm leaning towards the full replace. (if I were paying $900 for the axles I'd likely have the CV replaced/rebooted.)
I'd replace axle if CV joint is noisy.....
dghii - Wednesday, 11 January, 2012, at 11:07:49 pm
.....repack if just replacing torn boot(s). I replaced both sides of both axles last fall. $40 total for parts. My CV joints were not noisy. Not really a terrible job at all, just messy!

Now that I think about it, most jobs I complete I think weren't 'terrible' even though there are always points in the work where I catch myself thinking "What the h_ll have I got myself into?"

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Keep in mind
Laz - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 1:29:27 pm
you can only go into a forest half way; then you're coming out.
Nice! *NM*
dghii - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 11:25:37 pm
dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login