Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
more downforce or less lift? porsche says…
frogster - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 3:02:34 pm
some of you may remember the eternal discussions regarding whether the rear spoiler created downforce or simply negated lift. well, porsche seems to have made a clear statement.

from the new boxster microsite: "The rear wing is not only a visual treat, it deploys automatically at 75 mph (120 km/h) to reduce lift."

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: more downforce or less lift? porsche says…
db997S - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 3:50:59 pm
So, what's the physic's lesson? You can reduce lift without increasing downforce by disrupting airflow, but wouldn't increased downforce also reduce lift? Seems like a chicken and egg type of issue and has always confused me.
But they made another mistake...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 4:09:37 pm
... they called it a wing.
A WING creates lift or downforce (depending on how it is positioned).
A SPOILER reduces lift by spoiling the airflow which would cause lift or downforce.
The Porsche wedge is considered a wing (flat bottom and curved top) which creates lift with speed.
It needs a spoiler to spoil the airflow and reduce the lift.
In the case of extreme speeds such as in the Cup Cars, GT3s, etc, an upside down wing is installed at the rear to create downforce.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Someone needs to correct the Wiki Carrera GT article.
Laz - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 4:33:26 pm
Check out the Technology section.

Smoooooth
The headline calls it a wing,
Laz - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 10:03:07 pm
and in the body text it says "spoiler." It goes on to say in the down position it forms a seamless transition (or something like that) to the part molded into the taillights. Seamless? The only thing I know of that can do that is the spaceship's door in the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
a big wing like on a GT3 will definitely produce downforce
frogster - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 3:14:34 pm
but the boxster's is much smaller.

BTW folks, in my original post, I didn't say anything other than quote what porsche's website says. I'm not saying one thing or the other do don't shoot the messenger! smiling smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
on the downforce/lift/spoiler issue is you don't know the expertise of the author...is the writer a marketing type or an aerodynamics engineer? What is good enough for one may well be not precise enough for the other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login